Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SAUDI_HAJJ?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

244 Muslim Pilgrims Die in Hajj Stampede

By RAWYA RAGEH
Associated Press Writer

Al-Namlah says the crush of pilgrims in a small place like Mina can be deadly. (Audio)

MINA, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Nearly 250 Muslim worshipers died in a hajj stampede Sunday during the annual stoning of Satan ritual in one of the deadliest tragedies at the notoriously perilous ceremony.

The stampede, during a peak event of the annual Muslim pilgrimage, or hajj, lasted about a half-hour, Saudi officials said. There were 244 dead and hundreds of other worshippers injured, some critically, Hajj Minister Iyad Madani said.

"All precautions were taken to prevent such an incident, but this is God's will. Caution isn't stronger than fate," Madani said.
getting stoned is gods will?

heh.

you go, god!

;) ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this story made it on 'sunday morning' (the tv show), so it was above their radar threshold. fwiw.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
We have the Super Bowl and they have the "Annual Stoning." Hell, I heard that 30 second spots on Al-Jazeera were going for 9.4 million Saudi Riyals! :lol:

"All precautions were taken to prevent such an incident, but this is God's will."
You know, I tried that "God's will" stuff on my mom when I got a D in algebra my freshman year in high school. She didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
This is rediculous. Apparently death is comon at this "event".

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/02/01/hajj.stampede/index.html

Last year, 36 pilgrims were trampled to death, most of them en route to the devil stoning ritual.

In 2001, a stampede at the same ritual killed 35.

The most deadly Hajj-related incident was a 1990 stampede in which 1,426 pilgrims were killed.

1998 - 180 people died in a stampede near Mecca at the end of the Hajj;

1997 - A fire in Mina tore through the sprawling, overcrowded tent city , trapping and killing more than 340 pilgrims and injuring 1,500;

1994 - a stampede kills 270 pilgrims;

1991 - a chartered airliner carrying pilgrims home to Nigeria crashed, killing 261;

1991 - a plane crash in northern Saudi Arabia killed 91 Senegalese soldiers returning from a trip to Mecca which had been a reward for their service in the U.S.-led coalition that drove Iraqi forces from Kuwait in the Gulf War a month earlier;

1989 - bombs exploded near the Grand Mosque in Mecca, killing one pilgrim and wounding 16 others;

1987 - some 400 people, mainly Iranian Shi'ite pilgrims, were killed in clashes with Saudi security forces during anti-Western protests in Mecca.

·
Registered
696 Posts
One thing I've noticed about arab culture is they never take responsibility for their actions.. Its always "Gods will" or "Those Evil Jews" or "The Evil American Imperialists"

Sorry, just an observation.....

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Hehe. Linux. :lol:

And yeah, I can't believe that crazy stuff that goes down at that event. :nervous: ...and we thought the last Woodstock was bad.

I was watching that story on Fox News this morning and they said something along the lines of, "....this was the highest amount of deaths for this ritual in 6 years...."

I thought to myself, "Hmm. In six years? Wow, what an improvement." :roll: :crazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts