Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have had very bad wet weather here and on the way home from work today i got stuck in 3ft of water.my car just stopped.i was stranded for two hours until i got towed out.but my car wouldnt start.at last i got it going seems ok but when i got home i took my oil cap off to see brown sludge water me thinks will this be ok or is there damage?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I suggest that you replace the oil and filter before you drive that car again. I don't know exactly how much water you have in the oil, but the engine in 3 feet of water is a very considerable amount.

Can you tell if it is water or is it coolant?

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
you probally got water in the intake, hydrolocked the car and the water ran past the rings.
if that happened, satrt looking for a new car unless you want to do quite a few oil changes before you drive it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,755 Posts
umm hydrolock usually destroys the engine...right now. If it really hydrolocked, I doubt he could start it.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
i'l go ahead ans say it right now, i know nothing about hydro-locking, but what if you rebuilt the engine? would that help?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Sounds like you should tow this vehicle to a mechanic, stat.

3 ft. of water is a lot... luckily the air intake is high on our vehicles, but still. Did a lot get into the interior as well?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have flushed the oil and put a new oil filter on it also new oil obviously.still looks a bit sludgey but runs fine.do you think i should run it for a few days then change and flush again?.it seems to run ok i ran my vag com on it ans no new faults are showing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think the biggest thing is to get it up to full operating temp for a while so the water will boil or evaporate out of the oil. Personally I would do another oil change after taking it out for a decent drive that's long enough to get everything hot for an extended time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea thanks going for a run tonight then fingers x will be ok.we have had the worst weather here for 200 years.in 24hrs we have had floods in the uk.i am talking about my car when people are homeless and have lost lives it puts it all into perspective.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spoke too soon it lost all power ans stopped tonight.wouldnt start.i got towed home then it started again but runs realy bad as if its only running on 2 or 3 cylinders.after i changed the oil ect the oil looked nice and clean.on tickover then engine vibrates badly and white smoke from my exhaust.any ideas please ?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I hope you called your insurance company and reported it. It should be covered under your comprehensive less your deductible. Usually the insurance company will have it towed to a mechanic for evaluation.

·
Registered
446 Posts
White smoke is usually steam from water or coolant. The misfiring could be anything associated with getting water into the system. Check your air filter and intake for wet filter or obstructions. Pull your plugs and check compression. Change that oil again! You are not going to get away with only changing it once. You must change the oil filter, too.

With any luck, you can nurse it back to health. If you have avoided severe expensive damage you are very fortunate. If you are insured against hazards, it might be time to file a claim.

Good luck to you on this.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks i am absolutely gutted.i have made a claim so hopefully find out tommorow.i did check plugs ,air filter ect.one strange thing was the intake (i think that is it on the right hand side of the head)never got hot i think it used to get nice and hot.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good luck with issues man! Sorry to hear your troubles. I live in New Hampshire in the USA and over the last year we have had the worst floods in 100+ years.

There is something wrong with the planet for sure.

Did you get any codes after it died again?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no not any codes that were unusual.even tonight i thoght i would get some but just went out to try it again and it started first time but is rough,it idles a 800rpm like normal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am wondering to the thread if one could drain all the oil, leave the oil cap off, and let it sit a few days. Would that clear most of the water? I have not had this problem so I don't want to give this as bad advice.

For a moment I thought the poster was in Austin. TX; surrounding areas have had some nasty flash floods these past few days.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I could never understand why someone would try driving through that deep of water :crazy:
Really now, look how many stories there are every year about people getting swept away inside their cars while trying to drive through deep water. It's just plain dumb.

Sorry this happened to you, but it sounds like you trashed the motor and will be spending big $$ for your mistake. Personally I think the insurance shouldn't cover your poor judgment.

Just my $.02 ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thanks that is very helpfull of you.as for driving through water for a laugh or i didnt have anything to do,we have had the worst weather for as long as records began.i could not avoid this thanks again.
for all the others who have had valid helpfull replies i have fixed it myself.i first unpluged the ecu for a while to no avail.next unpluged the maf and hey presto runs smoothly.pluged it back in runs like a bag of spanners. so its off to thegarage in the morning for a new maf sensor and more oil and filter just to be safe.
i promise krtracer i will never get out of my depth again.
as for everyone else thanks
do have a power supply terminal 30 ,voltage too low fault code though.18010 p1602 35-10 inter.any ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Was it really 3 ft. of water?
That would of put it up to your door handles and would have soaked your seats and interior. Your electrical issue are likely only beginning if that's the case.

Sure it wasn't more like 1 ft. ?? Were you forced to drive through it (someone pushing you?) Did your brakes fail?

You are a bit vague on the circumstances upon which this all happened. Maybe a bit more info would help us out here.

·
Registered
27,595 Posts
Power supply is just a disconnected battery or unplugged ecu.

Were you forced to drive through it (someone pushing you?) Did your brakes fail?

You are a bit vague on the circumstances upon which this all happened. Maybe a bit more info would help us out here.
Why does it matter? Is he asking for you to judge him? Mistakes and accidents happen. It's not like he did it on purpose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts