Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a planned timing belt change, waiting to set a day. The owner called and said he had a loud metallic screech when he stepped on the gas and then the car lost most of it's power. He mentioned the oil light had been flickering for about a month. He had a mechanic check it when the light 1st came on. The 1st mechanic pulled the oil plug, stuck his finger in and stated he did not have sludge!

I found the oil pickup clogged and a good buildup on the sides of the pan, just above the oil level line.

Not too bad of a job as I had to hoist the engine for the pan (did not have to drop the subframe!) it made reaching the turbo pretty easy.

Cam caps pulled and it looks like everything survived.

Got the car towed in last Friday and spent Saturday and half of Monday installing all of these goodies. This was the 1st turbo replacement and oil pump I have done on a 1.8T (I did a 2.7T teardown over a year ago). When I was done, the car seemed to run pretty well and built boost starting at 2K rpm. It was noisy for the 1st few minutes, but quieted down once the lifters pumped up.

Here is the back corner of the car, I worked on the Galaxie on Sunday. It was a bit crowded.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
The 1st mechanic pulled the oil plug, stuck his finger in and stated he did not have sludge!

I found the oil pickup clogged and a good buildup on the sides of the pan, just above the oil level line.
I guess he didn't have a long enough finger. :D

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All told, the owner spent less than $2K for parts and labor. The brand new turbo cost more than my labor charge as there was a lot of overlap between the 3 parts of the job.

Reactions: klelmore

·
Registered
307 Posts
All told, the owner spent less than $2K for parts and labor. The brand new turbo cost more than my labor charge as there was a lot of overlap between the 3 parts of the job.
It's nice feeling when you know you live close to Paul. :whistle:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey PZ, as you know I'm facing a sludge issue as well. What all did you replace for that owner? I have talked with a few people some told my to flush the oil system, pull and clean the pan and replace oil pump. Other said replace everything that the oil touched, like hoses, screen, pump and turbo. I dont have a lot of money to put into that at this time. The dealership on the sludge recall they only replaced the pump and some of the hose for a total of 590 in parts from the dealership. Any input from people?, I think I just really lost and scared this is going to cost me a ton, I'm a Pre-Pharm student and super broke.

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the sludge, it was the turbo and pump (and a lot of scraping the pan). The turbo went out due to no oil pressure as the pump had burned itself up. There was 0 oil flow when tested. The oil line to the turbo looked good and was not plugged.

If you had the pump replaced under the sludge warranty, any other damage should be covered as well. If you are paying for it yourself, I would start with checking the cam caps for wear and then check the turbo.

This engine had 180K and looked pretty good overall.

My brother was a Pharm major, he graduated and decided to go to med school after a year. Now he drives a 911 and a CTS-V but was poor for a long time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah I'm not even in Pharm School yet and still minoring in Spanish. LOL. I will be broke for a while but will love the day of nice cars.

I'm just worried about a ton of money that it will cost. I can still hear my turbo like a bat out of hell.. My car has 191k on it, Im not sure if the pump was replaced under the warranty.

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Galaxie would fit if I moved the tool box from the front. It would not leave much room to get around it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts