Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am replacing some of my suspension...i just got my front sway bar got my springs getting upper strut bar..but i was told to replace my wheel bearings .i got one side got to get another but is there some bushing kit i can buy if so from where? to replace most of those or some of them?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
'back in the day when I used to race'... I would consistently buy a grade or two above stock when replacing bearings. When I had to replace a front wheel bearing on the Passat, I couldn't find anything other that a staight stock replacement, and only by one German company. Try NAPA - other than the dealer, this was the only nationwide chain that carried the replacement. Other good local foreign car parts stores may also carry them. But there's no need to replace them unless you know they're going bad for some other reason.

·
Registered
902 Posts
How would you know when a wheel bearing is going bad? I'm trying to diagnose a noise coming from one of the front wheels.

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
They will usually start to hum long before they wear enough to move.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wheel bearing failures are not as common as they once were. Additionally, many bearings are now incorporated into modules that are much more expensive to replace. The best bet is to run it until it dies - you've already paid for it.

You'll suspect it's dying when you hear a dull roar in turns. You'll be sure it's dying when you hear it all the time. If you grab at 3 & 9 o'clock and can push pull the wheel while the steering is locked - it's time to replace the bearing.

I work for that German company. Please, be careful of buying discount parts because you may get a Chinese knock-off.

·
Registered
902 Posts
PZ said:
They will usually start to hum long before they wear enough to move.
What kind of hum? It's hard to explain the sound I'm hearing, I thought it was the brakes, but the sound is present even during acceleration, usually at low speeds, then goes away after I speed up.....comes back when I slow down...etc. What's weird is that its intermittant...some days its pretty bad, some days I don't hear it.

I tried pushing on both front wheels the other day, and they really don't have much play.

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
They usually hum while turning away from the side that is bad. It would be be
an oscilating sound. Colder temps may make it louder.
Are your tires cupped? They may be louder at low speeds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing