Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle in question - 2003 Passat v6 awd, 105,000kms

I need my front bearings done and I'm not doing it myself, I just want to know if it's a better idea changing the axle ends just the bearings or the hub assembly (if such a thing exists on this car)

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The wheel-mounting hub has to be pressed out of the bearing, then the bearing has to be pressed out of the large cast "carrier". The new bearing and hub then get pressed in. With appropriate tools, it can be done without removing the carriers, however I just had bearings installed, and took the carrier castings with the hub/bearings to a NAPA machine shop, where they charged $60 the press work. The bearings cost me around $100 for the pair.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are any of your cv boots blown? that will let you know of a axle problem. You wouldnt need to change the whole wheel hub, just the wheel bearing if your sure that the issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not 100% that it's the bearings but I take it in to VW shop next week to get it checked for sure. Can I visually check the cv boots? The car has been making an quiet noise for months now and it's been getting louder and louder so I'm just assuming it's the bearing.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
You don't even need to get the car up in the air to check the boots; simply reach around behind the spindle, feel for the end of the axle, and prod the folds of the boot for cracks (or grease.) Also, completely failed boots will generally sling grease on the inner edge of your wheel rim.

(NOTE: If you DO find grease, be very careful touching anything else before you get it off your hands; it is quite possibly the Stickiest Grease Ever Made)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check the boots today, thanks. I also have a question about the bearings, I called a few parts stores here today and I was quoted between $170 and $214 for one bearing alone. I the called the VW shop I'm taking my car into next week and they sell the bearing $86 with two screws for something and the hub for another $68. Now my question is why are the prices so different from rock auto which has a bearing for $15? If anyone has a minute could you please goto rock auto and link me too the correct bearing for my car?

2003 Passat 2.8L v6 awd

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Autohausaz has a PEX 82mm bearing kits for $40 each, which includes circlip and new axle bolt. Part number is 4A0 498 625A. The original hubs should be fine to re-use unless damaged.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
65,000 miles sounds low for wheel beraing life, but guessing with Canadian corrosion it's possible. Can you describe the noise, or add a (or link to)video?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
65,000 miles sounds low for wheel beraing life, but guessing with Canadian corrosion it's possible. Can you describe the noise, or add a (or link to)video?
Location matters not, here in N Florida I replaced mine on my Passat at 70K.
My CC 4 mo at 45K (Front)

Noise is a rumbling / growl. Worse when turning into a corner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't get a video that you can clearly hear the noise. It's hard to describe but I'd say it's like whirring or the sound a ufo made in old movies. If I were to do this myself can I purchase the front hub with the bearing already inside it and would that be easier to change than just the bearing. Everything in the wheel well is pretty rusty looking too I'll post a few pics I took while I put my all seasons back on.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The growl and getting worse on turns are consistent with a bad wheel bearing.

The top of your steering knuckle looks fairly corroded as well in the last pic. You might consider finding a good used one and replacing it at the same time. Someone from upsatate New York had one snap in February.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
If I were to do this myself can I purchase the front hub with the bearing already inside it and would that be easier to change than just the bearing.
Not with this car. The bearing is pressed into that rusty casting. You unfortunately can't just unbolt the bearing/hub as a unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts