Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that they are rare but I'm hoping this forum can help me out. I have a set of VW BBS RXIIs for my MK4. The clearcoat on the machined rim is defective and the rim is beginning to corrode under the clearcoat.

From the close up shots the BBS Madras from the W8 Sport seem to be finished the same as my RXII. (Silver paint centers with clearcoated machined rims). Does anyone know if the clearcoat on the Madras is also defective?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
My brother 1/2 hour from you is the Mecca of BBS Repair shops.. Take those wheels and drive over to:

Ye Ole Wheel & Welding Shop
6363 Washington Blvd, Elkridge, MD 21075
(410) 796-8400

Those guys have repaired and resurfaced my BBS VZ's and RA's and they look brand new. The VZ's were badly pitted with some curb rash and now they look like new. BBS also has a year warranty on surface defects, so if your rims aren't that old you can send them back to BBS for replacement.

Everyone in the DC/Metro and Baltimore/Metro Area uses Ye Ole Wheel to repair and resurface wheels and they do an excellent job. I may even buy a set of 18" VZ's and have them coated in a Diamond Black Finish. :thumbup:

Now as I've seen there shouldn't be any clearcoat issues with your BBS at all. Are you sure you are running genuine BBS wheels? Any wheel when exposed to the elements and harsh road chemicals over years of use will show some corrosion or pitting.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Is there a clearcoat on the rim? It looks to me like a mill finish aluminum and the only part part that is finished is the center portion - that's painted silver with a clearcoat. If it is the mill finish aluminum, any scratches can be slightly sanded off and smoothed and then coated with a good wax, since it is unfinished aluminum. At least that is how they are on the Madras. Don't sand the finished painted portion tho!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts