Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/03/17/STANDOFF.TMP

When three Interstate 80 commuters reported that they had been in the crosshairs of a sniper's rifle Tuesday morning in Solano County, authorities closed the freeway, summoned a SWAT team and had media helicopters zero in on the suspect's license plate.

Law officers arrested Rickey Roy Badgley, 51, almost two hours later after a standoff, only to discover he was targeting motorists with a video camera fitted with a high-powered lens, not a rifle fitted with a high-powered scope. They released him late Tuesday afternoon.
wow, that's nuts!

I was watching tv yesterday when the 'breaking news' came on. they showed i80 shutdown for MILES. there was a shooter there, they thought.

it was a media frenzy. helicopters, reporters, swat teams, you name it.

wow. people are EXTRA touchy these days. some guy uses a long-lens camera and people call the cops on him thinking the worst.

I think we're too microfocused on terrorism. its affecting our judgement. before 9/11, I think it would be unlikely this would have been called in to a SWAT team.

"yeah, he's using kodacolor gold 100 on interstate 80. book him, dan-o!"

sigh...

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Where the F&*ck have you been? They know there is a sniper in the bay attempting to murder innocent people and this idiot does something like this? What should they have done do you think.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lets be afraid of everyone who uses telephoto lenses then.

welcome to the new 'safer' america.

sigh..

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
linux-works said:
lets be afraid of everyone who uses telephoto lenses then.

welcome to the new 'safer' america.

sigh..
Dude, this has nothing to do with terrorism. 20 years ago the reaction would of been the same. There was something suspicious going in an area where there is a known sniper. Area police, sherrif, and CHP are still on an extreme alert for this guy and they get a call like this, hell yea there gong to go out in force.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The overreaction makes sense when you consider a few weeks ago that there was a guy driving around shooting people on a nearby highway. They think they caught the guy, but you never know.

That said, can you imagine being the guy just shooting pictures and all of a sudden a tank rolls up on you?(He "surrendered" to cops when he saw the tank roll up)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BooRadley said:
The overreaction makes sense when you consider a few weeks ago that there was a guy driving around shooting people on a nearby highway. They think they caught the guy, but you never know.

That said, can you imagine being the guy just shooting pictures and all of a sudden a tank rolls up on you?(He "surrendered" to cops when he saw the tank roll up)
ok, I admit I wasn't aware of this bay area shooter other than THIS guy.

still, being jumpy is being jumpy. are we going to close every highway due to telephoto lens use?

come on people. lets live our lives. else "they win", remember?

sigh...

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I agree with you. We have already become way too scared, they have won on that front, and i don't know what it will take to bring things back the way they were.

That said, in defense of the CHP, they were responding to citizens calling in telling them there was a guy with a gun. They can't just assume that "Oh, it must not really be a gun" and just walk up on the guy, risking thier own lives, as well as the lives of the people driving on the highway.

Beleive me, I know they're happy that it wasn't a gun, but I think it's fair to say the whole incident has embarrassed them.

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
I had a nice argument typed out but you already know the points I'd have made. You're just doing your normal "devils advocate/with a smidgeon of trolling routine."

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BooRadley said:
I agree with you. We have already become way too scared, they have won on that front, and i don't know what it will take to bring things back the way they were.

That said, in defense of the CHP, they were responding to citizens calling in telling them there was a guy with a gun. They can't just assume that "Oh, it must not really be a gun" and just walk up on the guy, risking thier own lives, as well as the lives of the people driving on the highway.

Beleive me, I know they're happy that it wasn't a gun, but I think it's fair to say the whole incident has embarrassed them.
completely agree that it needs to be investigated.

but, uhhh, how long does it take to disarm A PHOTOGRAPHER?

man, this is almost monty python. except its a lens and not fresh fruit [MP fans will get the joke] ;)

my point is that once you find out its a false alarm, you can let the traffic pass and you don't have to surround the damned van with half a dozen swat guys.

the guy had a lens. stop right there. any informed cop should be able to tell a scared photographer who did something maybe not so smart - from a real terrorist.

I'm no trained officer, but I could tell the diff in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
That's the thing, when they saw that he had a telephoto lens, they can't just assume that because he has the lens, it must have been the lens that the people saw and not a gun (i.e. he may have the weapon hidden on his person or nearby). Remember, all they knew about this guy is that he was reported to them as being armed.

At any rate, the whole situation wound up being a cluster f$%^.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Urlik said:
I had a nice argument typed out but you already know the points I'd have made. You're just doing your normal "devils advocate/with a smidgeon of trolling routine."
I prefer the term "selective poster".

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
BooRadley said:
can you imagine being the guy just shooting pictures and all of a sudden a tank rolls up on you?(He "surrendered" to cops when he saw the tank roll up)
I love the media! I can assure you there is no "tank" in any Bay Area law enforcement motorpool.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Postman said:
BooRadley said:
can you imagine being the guy just shooting pictures and all of a sudden a tank rolls up on you?(He "surrendered" to cops when he saw the tank roll up)
I love the media! I can assure you there is no "tank" in any Bay Area law enforcement motorpool.
They must have photochopped this one then (the live helicopter footage too)...

From http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/8201496.htm

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Postman said:
BooRadley said:
I saw it on tv - I might even still have it on my tivo.

APC, maybe? I dont' know the exact term. but it wasn't a beat up chevvy, either, they were wheeling in toward that guy's van.. ;)

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
APC definitely.......it weighs about half of what the turret alone weighs on an M1A1. About as different as a motorcycle and an 18 Wheeler.

Yea, I will agree that I see no reason to have an APC there. I see what you were talking about. A bit overkill for a camera and a crossbow!

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Postman said:
APC definitely.......it weighs about half of what the turret alone weighs on an M1A1. About as different as a motorcycle and an 18 Wheeler.

Yea, I will agree that I see no reason to have an APC there. I see what you were talking about. A bit overkill for a camera and a crossbow!

Nah, about as different as granny smith apples and fuji apples. As for the over kill, would you raise your hand to approach the vehicle? Didn't think so. Officer safety is number on no matter what.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
With all the hub-bub....no one asked the simple question: WHO TAKES PICTURES OF FREEWAY MOTORISTS ANYWAYS? Tryin' to find his next girlfriend or something? Call me nuts, but I believe that there was some intention that he had other than to take photos, especially with small arms in his van.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stealthx32 said:
With all the hub-bub....no one asked the simple question: WHO TAKES PICTURES OF FREEWAY MOTORISTS ANYWAYS? Tryin' to find his next girlfriend or something? Call me nuts, but I believe that there was some intention that he had other than to take photos, especially with small arms in his van.
Authorities also found a pellet gun, ammunition and a toy crossbow in the van, but there was no evidence that he pointed either weapon at drivers, Ziese said. There also were several police scanners and cellular phones in the vehicle, Ziese said.

pellet gun?

'scuze me??

this is NOT terror-worthy. nothing to see here folks, move along, move along.

toy crossbow.

sheesh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
6 Participants
linux-works
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing