Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The paint on my 01.5' GLX is on the way out. I'd like to know as much about this finish as possible. At school in Fort Myers Florida, I saw a Corrado with matte olive green finish with matte black roof from the pillars up. It was well done and looked great. If anyone has pictures or any further information please share. I have searched for this on this forum, the vortex, and others to no avail.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What exactly are you searching for? The color code or something? Shouldn't an auto body shop be able to help with that sort of conversation?

That is a SWEET looking ride, though. Where'd you get the pic and what exactly is it used for with that turret on top?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for others who have done the same to their VW. I found the image on google images. Here is my car minus the hideous chrome door handles.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,607 Posts
I got a pic of it from h2o '07

or something like this.

·
Amuse Me For My Money
476 Posts
There is a guy in PA with a matte olive green passat and it's sweet!

screen name: rawkusmode32 on vortex
that green is not a "matte" (satin) finish, it is flat (primer).

a flat/primer paint is dull, porous (will rust through), rough to the touch, and will scuff or mark easily from being touched, and can not be cleaned. the only cleaning that can be done, is to spray more flat over the area that got messed up.

a matte/satin is not dull (not glossy either), but rather has a sheen to it (think...like an eggshell), non porous, smooth to the touch, will not mark or scuff from being touched, will hold up to the elements quite well, and can be cleaned somewhat easy. this all also depends on how much of a matting agent is added to the paint/color, which can bring it from close to flat, to almost glossy.

if you were going to have this done professionally, all you would have to do is pick a color, tell them you want it matte/satin, and the shop will add the matting agent appropriately.

if you wanted to do this on the cheap, you'd have to sand your car down & do the proper prep work for any paint job. then either use a rattle can primer (if thats the look you are going for...but again you may develop rust issues), or use rattle can "satin" paints...Rustoleum is a good brand to use, they have this.....

(image/color just used for an example, they have about 15-20 different colors...3 greens i believe).

It is a satin paint for wrought iron outdoor furniture, and holds up quite well against the elements. If you were to chose this route, to save some money in the quantity of cans used, you would want to buy "FAT CAPS"...used for graffiti (RIP IZ the Wiz!). Just Google it and you will see places on line to buy 'em. These eat a can up faster, but gives you a wider spray/better coverage, and cuts down on possible streaking issues.

As a final step (if you were to rattle can it...with the satin), to take out some of the roughness you will develop from the spray cans & too really smooth it/give it a nice sheen, you will want to use a really fine steel wool. buff the entire car out with the steel wool and done.

Here's my 77 Beetle I used to have, done just using Rustoleum Satin black spray paint, fat caps, and fine steel wool:

·
Registered
731 Posts
There is a guy in PA with a matte olive green passat and it's sweet!

screen name: rawkusmode32 on vortex

So no one on here knows his name here on PW?? haha I see his car in West Chester, PA sometimes and a few times in Downingtown. I think he goes to WCU cause he was at a college apart complex.

I also always see a nice clean black b5, badgeless grille, lowered, 19" RS6 reps with black centers. clear corners, etc. parked on Neilds street all the time. Wish I knew who they were. Love their cars

1 - 18 of 18 Posts