Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a optima yellowtop battery from my 2013 Passat VR6. It has a smaller foot print, but I found that I could not screw in the hold down bracket as, although there is a hole in the right location, there is no captive nut for me to screw into. I took a picture of the underside of the battery tray.
Door Rectangle Wood Grey Automotive tire
Local VW parts department and autoparts store was no help. I found captive nuts at the local home box store, but the plastic is way too hard for me to hammer them in. I'd like to obtain the metal piece at the top left, which has the captive nut. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Can you heat up the captive nut or threaded insert so that it melts it's way into the plastic hole for a tight fit and then fill in the recess underneath around it with epoxy to strengthen it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you heat up the captive nut or threaded insert so that it melts it's way into the plastic hole for a tight fit and then fill in the recess underneath around it with epoxy to strengthen it?
I like the way you're thinking. After coming to a somewhat similar conclusion, I thought I should come back to the forum and see what people were thinking. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts