Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I will replace my 6yr old battery as preventative maintenance. What should I be looking for in a battery? What CCA rating should I be looking for (remember - I live in a cold climate)? What was the CCA rating of the OEM battery? Will most batteries fit or will I need some sort of special hold down clamp? TIA.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
You'll need to cross-reference the battery to your car. I have a vague recollection of 700 CCA being about right. I have an Interstate battery in my car. It came highly recommended, and it's gotten me through 3 or 4 Minnesota winters without any trouble.

HTH

Kenny

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I use a Sears Diehard, with 8 year warranty. Costs a little over a $100. Others have had good success with Autozone battery, for around 65 or 70 bucks IIRC.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
Kenny Payne said:
You'll need to cross-reference the battery to your car. I have a vague recollection of 700 CCA being about right. I have an Interstate battery in my car. It came highly recommended, and it's gotten me through 3 or 4 Minnesota winters without any trouble.

HTH

Kenny
I also have an Interstate battery in my '99 1.8T. So far so good after 1.5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know how the Diehard and Interstate batteries compare to the VW battery? I have to replace mine soon and noticed that the VW battery is only $5 more than the Diehard battery. Perhaps the warranty is not as long.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts