Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 passet never had issues now when i start it the battery light stays on for a while i will have ac on and it will shut of not sure what’s going on after driving like 20 min please someone

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have a 2012 passet never had issues now when i start it the battery light stays on for a while i will have ac on and it will shut of not sure what’s going on after driving like 20 min please someone
More than likely your alternator is dying/has died.
If you are in US, you can get it checked at auto part stores suck as autozone, oreilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you auto zone and stuff isn’t checking them because of the virus especially here in Arizona

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Ok thank you auto zone and stuff isn’t checking them because of the virus especially here in Arizona
Where are you in AZ?
If you have a 2012 Passat, I'm guessing the battery is old and suffering from the brutal heat we have each summer.
Excessive heat will destroy a battery.
If you're in the Phoenix area I know of (2) good places to take your car to if your not able to take care of this yourself.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,452 Posts
Please pay attention to the forum you are posting in. You have a B7, not a B5.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Where are you in AZ?
If you have a 2012 Passat, I'm guessing the battery is old and suffering from the brutal heat we have each summer.
Excessive heat will destroy a battery.
If you're in the Phoenix area I know of (2) good places to take your car to if your not able to take care of this yourself.
Do you have to upgrade your cooling system at 120f climate?

Also, I noticed the vcds showed 220F on my car the other day. But it dropped down to 187-190. Is 220 normal in a hot day?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Do you have to upgrade your cooling system at 120f climate?

Also, I noticed the vcds showed 220F on my car the other day. But it dropped down to 187-190. Is 220 normal in a hot day?

My daily driver - 1998 GLS V6 5sp manual is bone stock except for the HID upgrade I did a few years ago and the heat sinks I made for the HID ballasts.
I replaced my radiator with a brand new one when I was still living in WI. That would've been either 2016 or 2017, can't remember at the moment.
I moved to Phoenix December of 2017.

I would like to move the a/c condenser a little lower so the radiator doesn't have ALL of it's surface area covered up by the condenser.
The air going through the condenser is hot, and then it goes through the radiator.

I have noticed though, with all (3) of my Passat down here, when the temps get above 110, sitting (as in not moving down the road) with the a/c turned on, the a/c system gets so hot it will actually start to slug the compressor and kill the engine when the a/c clutch kicks in.
The air blowing through the vents isn't very cold (matter of fact it's not cold at all) when it's 110 or above, with engine at idle and sitting stopped, the air will suddenly blow HOT through the vents and then it'll kill the engine moments later.
I've pondered the idea of adding a second a/c condenser up front, that would be a total custom job if I were to do that. But it's feasible. It can be done with a custom manifold coming from the a/c hoses in the lower front passengers side of the car.

Currently this is all blowing smoke talk as I don't have my garage / shop just yet.
Come a couple of months from now, then I'll be a mad man fixing up all (3) of my cars as they are in dire need of maintenance.
The 1998 GLS V6 daily driver needs a laundry list of things a mile long. Most notably a timing belt kit. I'm long overdue. 😬
My wife's 2003 GLX V6 is about due for timing belt kit also.
My W8 needs a clutch replacement and a (prop shaft) carrier bearing.

As far as checking to see what the 'actual' coolant temps are with VCDS, I haven't checked that since I've moved down here.
I'm sure it's way up there though. My newish coolant reservoir (about a year old or so) has already got cracks in it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have seen this product, which I hesitate to use as G12 is very peculiar. It claims to lower the coolant temperature by 20f.

Also, in city driving where I don’t go above 45-50, I leave the hood cracked open for better air circulation in the engine bay, which I believe helps a bit. I know it is redneck but still... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts