Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please.
My battery light is doing a light flicker, for it is not all the way on or all the way off. Yet the car starts fine and all my accesories work. The analog voltage gauge is still running at about 14 volts. When the light is flickering the 4-way hazard flasher has this electrical rattle going on like it is trying to turn on a blinker. I tried disconecting the switch but the light still is flickering. The battery is only two months old. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
When the battery / Generator light comes on it usually means that your alternator is not capable of fully supplying all the load. Does the battery light go out at higher rpm? or does it always flicker at any engine speed? Did you check your battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight? Is the accessory belt tight? Measure you battery voltage at rest and car running at the battery terminals. At idle does the battery light get brighter as you turn on load (blower, wipers, rear window defrost, all lights, radio, etc.)? Measure your battery voltage again with this load on charging system.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried checking it at high revs vs. idle. At idle it is almost gone and at higher rpm it get brighter. I also removed the hazad lights fuse and the light went away. Dead short somewhere????

Please help

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeping my fingers crossed the ground on the valve cover was loose I tightened it and the light has not come back yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts