Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was cleaning out my car the other day and had the radio on and all the doors open. It was like that for about an hour, and the car was not running. I have done this before without any problems, but this time the care would not start afterwards.

I jumped it and it ran fine that day. The next day it started up fine in the morning, I went to work, went to lunch around 1:00 and it started fine, but then it wouldn't start after work. I got it jumped, went home, went to dinner, it started fine.. I went to a movie and had it off for about 3 hours, and afterwards it wouldn't start yet again... The next morning it started fine. :???: The next morning it wouldn't start whatsoever and I had to get a jump again.

The thing that bothers me is that nothing has been left on, there doesn't seem to be a battery drain anywhere. When I jump it, I don't even have the other car running, and I"m grounding the black on my engine block.. It starts up like a champ without any hesitation.

Now I'm about to go start it up to go to work and I'm really not sure what's going to happen... I've never had to get a jump in the year I've had the car. It's a 99 B5 with 45K miles. THe first time I had this problem was when I let it run dead the other day.. My shop said the battery is fine when I brought it in yesterday.. I'm confused. help!

Mike

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well your battery is 5 years old now. So if you let it drain its too old now to hold the charge. I would buy a new one if there is no electric drain anywhere. I have a 99 B5 too and I am on my original battery but I have not let it drain out yet. I am pretty sure if I let it drain now it might not hold up charge again for a long time.

Secondly are you driving enough distance to let the battery get charged (1-2 hrs)? If you jump the car and drive it for a few miles that is not enough to charge your battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have you tried taking it to an auto shop to have it recharged? Some places will do it for free. I have it fully recharged whenever it's drained, b/c I don't want to overwork the alternator...

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Interstate!

I have a 2K, and experienced the same thing last winter. However, I chalked it up to a battery that had been deep-cycled one too many times and just grabbed a new one. No more problems. The batteries from VW are not so great. Not bad, but not so great.

When the charge is fully depleted, some batteries cannot recover full charge capacity. This means that even though you have charged it to the full voltage, the CCAs are just not there any more. You need to have the battery load tested (actually, your car is already telling you that the battery cannot handle the load) to know for sure. But the Interstate dealer is an easier thing. :) MTP-91

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey.. yeah.. those are some good points there.. The shop said they tested it and found it to work just fine, but they probably didn't do a complete load test. I don't think I've had it running for more than 20-30 minutes at a time since it died sunday.. and the A/C has been on as well as the radio. I'm going to go pick up a battery charger after work and hook it up overnight... If that doesn't work, I'll go get a new battery. I guess it's about time for a new one anyways.

Thanks for the info!

Mike

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Do you ever check the fluid levels and refill? Your battery is not maintenance free! Remove the caps, use a flashligh and refill to the level with Distilled water only! You need to check it every 6 months.

I accidentlly ran mine flat last year on a road trip....left the plug in cooler plugged in overnight. In the morning it wouldn't even unlock. Had to use the key! :eek: :D

Found my levels pretty low when I got home.....refilled and has been fine since. That was 10 months ago. '99 1.8T with 101,600 miles...

Take care of your battery and it can last a long time..much longer then the typical mait free unit with most cars.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my travels 8) I've learned not to try and make an old battery work when it's time is up. My experience has been it puts a strain on the alternator and pretty soon you're changing that part.

Like it was mentioned before, batteries are really only good for 5 years max. If it's old and you deep cycle it just a couple of times, it won't regain the ability to hold a full charge.

IMO...do yourself a favor and just get a new battery.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try this: Take the battery to your local autoparts store and have them test it for you. I think you can still do that. If not pay $60 and get yourself a new battery. If you continue to have problems it's likely to be your alternator is working properly to recharge your battery. If that is the case remove the alternator and have the parts store test it as well. If faulty either have it rebuilt or purchase a new one. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told by a shop not to remove the battery myself, cuz it would reset the idle timer on the car (???). He said my VW dealership would be the best place to get it changed out since they have the VAG COM to fix that problem.

Is this true? Sounds like a line.

BTW, this the first time I've drained the battery completely... could a full charge fix this?

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our B5 was in the shop for over 2 weeks.
(full front end suspension redone under warranty)

and now the battery is dead dead. I haven't
checked the distilled water levels, i jumped it
this morning, drove 30 miles (45 minutes)
for the morning commute and just checked, nothing.

it's a 99 w/ 60K ... should i go back to the dealer
and bitch and moan, or is the battery dead and
just grab one off the shelf?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car just got back from the dealer for the battery loosing a charge after the car was not used for several days. After several events of having the car towed in for repair, I was told the switch that controls the trunk light was bad. The light was on all the time. I have had the car back from the shop for several days. So far it has been working. :???: :???:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had similar symptoms as the original poster. I topped off the battery with distilled water (it was pretty low) and it's been trouble free since (about 2 or 3 months now).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.