Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am new to VW's and to this forum. I just bought a 2010 Passat Wagon 2.0T with 70k miles. CA car so no rust and in great shape, But...... the battery drains overnight. The owner told me about the problem so the car was priced accordingly.

With everything turned off, I attached a multimeter and it has a parasitic draw, so i pulled every fuse (one at a time) and watched the multimeter to see which fuse made a significant change in elec draw and the 60 amp fuse in the engine bay (see picture) is the only fuse that made any significant drop. This fuse isn't shown in the manual that came with the car. I have searched the net but i don't see any fuse blocks in the same order as mine? what does the fuse control?

Other issues that may or may not be related: -
1. The rear passenger door is dead (Jim?) the power window doesn't work and the power lock doesn't work.
2. The previous owner tried to get the draining issue diagnosed and someone said the radio was part of the issue so they disconnected the radio, the owner was told that it reduced the draw but it didn't cure the problem. They wanted another $700 to diagnose it so the guy sold the car to me.
3. The antenna on the roof was destroyed when the previous owner closed the garage door too soon and the antenna was a casualty. It now has a wire loop where the shark fin should be.

Hopefully someone can tell me what the fuse controls and point me in the right direction.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you trace that wire out from that position (SA4) you find that it feeds power to the fuse carriers in the passenger compartment, one on each side of the dashboard. The covers to each fuse carrier are visible when you open the front doors. A bunch of individual fuses are then part of each fuse carrier. Caveat - there have been quite a few variations on fuse layouts and assignments throughout the entire B6 line, from 2006-2010.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
adding to previous post ,it seemed like every year had a little bit of a change in its wiring schematic...and you really have to dig on internet to find one that matches. With that said you can pinpoint problem with multimeter with fuses IN place (not pulled). There is a tutorial maybe in the forum's archives but maybe on Youtube, You put really small probes into the two little holes in the top edge/ends/surface of the fuse and measure drop in millivolts NOT milliamps. This is accomplished by the fact that the fuse has a certain resistance, (acts like a resistor). There is an accompanying chart (using fuse size and amperage) that converts the millivolts measured, to milliamps being drawn. The method to the madness here is the fact that once a fuse is pulled,it some times sets off a series of events where the three computers in the car "awake" and then requires time to go back into "sleep" mode. You also have to manually close door latches and hood latch,as access to fuse panels on either side require doors to be open. Example, you open the door and shut the internal lights do not immediately turn off. Curious as to "loop" you mention in antenna? Oh before I forget, there are four fuse locations, five if you have a "service" car, i.e. police,taxi,etc. (panel in trunk) One on either side of dash, fuses in distribution panel (in pic) and I believe a couple behind cubbie hole box by driver's left knee, access by opening bending plastic stop to fully open and disengage hinges.

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you trace that wire out from that position (SA4) you find that it feeds power to the fuse carriers in the passenger compartment, one on each side of the dashboard. The covers to each fuse carrier are visible when you open the front doors. A bunch of individual fuses are then part of each fuse carrier. Caveat - there have been quite a few variations on fuse layouts and assignments throughout the entire B6 line, from 2006-2010.
Thanks for the answer. I pulled all the fuses (one at a time) from both fuse boxes at the end of the dash and none of them made a significant drop in draw. I did latch the doors so the car thought that the door was closed and the interior lights were off before i pulled the fuses.

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those antennas have power going to them,they are amplified,but it is open with no ground
I wonder if it is now grounded due to the garage door breaking the shark fin off? and if it is grounded if that could be causing the draw? I bought a new (from a scrap yard) shark fin yesterday. I plan on messing with that today.

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. I searched the internet to try and find what the fuse controls and i purchased and downloaded a workshop manual but i had no luck finding a fuse box that is the exact same layout as mine.

I disconnected the fuse to see what would stop working and everything stopped working. the only things that continue to work are the middle display that shows when a door is open etc and high beam head lights. The engine wont turn, windows wont work, nothing works. So kerwooddr might be correct and SA4 powers the fuse boxes at both ends of the dash, but i would have thought that pulling a fuse in those boxes would find the circuit that is causing the draw, but none of the fuses in either boxes has any significant effect on the drain?

any ideas?

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adding to previous post ,it seemed like every year had a little bit of a change in its wiring schematic...and you really have to dig on internet to find one that matches. With that said you can pinpoint problem with multimeter with fuses IN place (not pulled). There is a tutorial maybe in the forum's archives but maybe on Youtube, You put really small probes into the two little holes in the top edge/ends/surface of the fuse and measure drop in millivolts NOT milliamps. This is accomplished by the fact that the fuse has a certain resistance, (acts like a resistor). There is an accompanying chart (using fuse size and amperage) that converts the millivolts measured, to milliamps being drawn. The method to the madness here is the fact that once a fuse is pulled,it some times sets off a series of events where the three computers in the car "awake" and then requires time to go back into "sleep" mode. You also have to manually close door latches and hood latch,as access to fuse panels on either side require doors to be open. Example, you open the door and shut the internal lights do not immediately turn off. Curious as to "loop" you mention in antenna? Oh before I forget, there are four fuse locations, five if you have a "service" car, i.e. police,taxi,etc. (panel in trunk) One on either side of dash, fuses in distribution panel (in pic) and I believe a couple behind cubbie hole box by driver's left knee, access by opening bending plastic stop to fully open and disengage hinges.
I pulled off the cubbie box by the drivers knee and pulled each of the fuses or ? and nothing had any impact on the draw.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
almost every time you pull a fuse or disconnect a component it "awakens" the car's computers/logic controllers. To find out where the drain is, you open hood and doors (force latching them) wait about an 20-30 minutes then without removing fuses ,multimeter set on MILLIVOLTS test on either side of each fuse, that is what those teeny little openings are for in the blade type fuses. Even the ECU will be drawing milliamps. I will see if I can find parasitic drain procedure and post.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I know yours is a B6 and although the mechanic is using a B5.5 as an example , this is, I believe as others do the best way to check parasitic drain, just remember you are doing this test with meter on millivolts then using chart to convert. Here is the youtube version, as was unable to find the document/hardcopy version. Hope this helps. Parasitic drain can be a PITA issue, have had a couple,last one was just an old tired battery, and normal draw from ECU,etc. over a period of a couple weeks without driving car would kill/weaken the battery. Had put in a new gauge cluster and thought it was that.

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another update:-

The good news. I left the car with the battery hooked up overnight and the car started this morning. Hopefully it's fixed but only time will tell.

What I did:-

I disconnected the window motor in the rear drivers side door (dead door) and the elec draw was substantially reduced, so i replaced it with a new to me part. The door lock and the power window now work.its odd that the window motor works the locks?

The turn signal in the pass mirror was broken so I replaced that. I didn't think that was causing the gremlins but it is electric and it needed to be replaced.

I replaced the antenna/shark fin

I replaced the rear door latch on the estate/wagon (old one wasn't working).

I replaced the radio, the old radio was causing some significant elec draw. The new radio is asking for a code? I did some research on finding a code, but no luck yet. I will start a new thread.

I hooked up my scanner and cleared the codes but i'm still getting code 00926. so I will do some more research on that.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know yours is a B6 and although the mechanic is using a B5.5 as an example , this is, I believe as others do the best way to check parasitic drain, just remember you are doing this test with meter on millivolts then using chart to convert. Here is the youtube version, as was unable to find the document/hardcopy version. Hope this helps. Parasitic drain can be a PITA issue, have had a couple,last one was just an old tired battery, and normal draw from ECU,etc. over a period of a couple weeks without driving car would kill/weaken the battery. Had put in a new gauge cluster and thought it was that.
Great Video.

·
Registered
2010 Passat Wagon 2.0t
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's started without issues for the last three mornings, so hopefully it's fixed. I replaced a few things but i'm sure the main culprit was the elec window motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts