Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use anything like this? I wanted to get one for our Camry, because it's lucky if it's driven every few months (and I know it has some sort of very low parasitic drain). I have no interest in trying to track it down. Then, I was thinking, maybe one for the Passat would be nice too, not only because it sits sometimes for a week or two, or on long vacations, but also for maintenance requiring battery disconnect. Naive?

Thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
There's considerable paranoia here about losing the throttle body adaptation and other settings if the battery is disconnected. In fact, documentation from VW outright states the car "may become undriveable" if the battery is disconnected. Personally, I've never experienced any problems... but if I were you, I'd simply connect a tiny "battery tender" style charger when not in use.

Did that on my lady friends driven-once-a-month car to good effect. Most of them mount right under the hood.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's considerable paranoia here about losing the throttle body adaptation and other settings if the battery is disconnected. In fact, documentation from VW outright states the car "may become undriveable" if the battery is disconnected. Personally, I've never experienced any problems... but if I were you, I'd simply connect a tiny "battery tender" style charger when not in use.

Did that on my lady friends driven-once-a-month car to good effect. Most of them mount right under the hood.
Yes, I have had my car brown-out (on slowly dying battery) twice, and completely screw up my TB settings. I've never had an issue when the power was disconnected quickly. An A/C battery tender isn't an option for either car since they are both parked out in the apartment complex parking lot.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a small solar cell one that lives on the dashboard, and plugs into the cigarette lighter?
We actually bought one of those for the Camry, like years ago, but it still sits in the trunk. LOL. I don't know, too lazy to install and monitor. I have no excuse, really. The camry is the car that just never dies, other than the battery. It's nothing like the Passat. I could duct tape the gas pedal down and send it off a bridge, and it would come out a few minutes later on the other side of the lake, hit a tree, and still be fine.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
A Passat consumes 30mA or less when OFF (about .36 Watt at 12 Volts), or so I've read, about what it takes to run a bright LED flashlight. I've never used one of these, but as an example, Home Depot sells a 1.8 Watt solar maintainer for around $17. It might just slow down the batteries's discharge, because unless it can actually charge the battery enough, during the night energy continues to be lost.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But you want to install a battery disconnect switch? What could be easier than plugging something into your cig lighter? :)
Well, the solar cell would have to sit on the dash, gather all kinds of dust and crap, and given the heat around here, likely become permanently bonded to the car. We drive the car like 5 times a year. I don't know. Like I said, no excuse, but I'm trying real hard to find one! ;)

EDIT: I also don't know if the solar cell could keep up with the parasitic drain. Yes, I could test that, couldn't I? lol I guess I just like the switch idea.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or, just disconnect the battery...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yeah, obviously, but it's a tad easier to turn a mechanical (physical) disconnect, rather than break out a socket wrench, socket, and adapter. Not to mention, if the mounts aren't seated down far enough, it turns into a "separate the clamp, further pound down the clamps on the terminals" exercise. It's just an unnecessary PITA.

I know, first world problems.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you're still looking for a battery disconnect, pay a visit to an RV place. Most RVs have a 12VDC electrical system and an associated battery disconnect that gets turned off whenever the rig travels or hibernates in the back yard.

·
Registered
806 Posts
^ ^ ^ There's that.

You know where else you can find them? Places that sell race-car bits. Like, say, Summit Racing. They have, oh, just a few of them to choose from....

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
...one for the Passat would be nice too, not only because it sits sometimes for a week or two, or on long vacations, but also for maintenance requiring battery disconnect. Naive?Thoughts on the subject?
Unless that switch is accessible from inside the car, you'll be opening the hood anyway. With a 10mm box end wrench kept in the door pocket, four seconds at the negative battery clamp is to me, no more effort than working a disconnect switch, and one less thing to install and go bad.

Charles Kettering, Chief Engineer of GM way back when: "parts left out don't cost anything, and never go bad".

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, obviously, but it's a tad easier to turn a mechanical (physical) disconnect, rather than break out a socket wrench, socket, and adapter. Not to mention, if the mounts aren't seated down far enough, it turns into a "separate the clamp, further pound down the clamps on the terminals" exercise. It's just an unnecessary PITA.

I know, first world problems.
If that's what it takes to remove the negative cable from the battery, I'd have to wonder what was done to it.

I've found that a 10mm wrench and 15 seconds to be more than sufficient. Maybe and extra 10 if you have an intact battery cover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
(1) I'm lazy. (2) My GF doesn't want to mess with the battery terminals. (3) Yes, first world problems, 15secs vs 60secs, wrench vs socket; it's just a matter of convenience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts