Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery gave up the ghost today. Four years, ten months, 75,560 miles. AAA and NTB got me going again within an hour - Exide 60 month, $125 installed. The starting cranks had slowed slightly recently, but it fell off the cliff after lunch today. Anyway, back on the road.

How did your original battery last? I feel like I got plenty of life out of mine, but I wonder what the collective experience is here. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Mine will be 3 years old in May, and on the coldest days the crank is a touch week. I'm banking on changing it before winter '07 at the latest.

We'll see how she is later this year. She's been getting water regularly, so the battery won't die from lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Mine lasted about 4 years. The way I figure it, your car will go through at least two batteries in it's life anyway. You're better of changing it at the very first sign of problems than two months down the road when it leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Xman said:
How did your original battery last? I feel like I got plenty of life out of mine, but I wonder what the collective experience is here. Thanks!
Not even that long. Checking the water level helps it last a little longer if you have one that allows that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got a 2001 and my battery died on Saturday. Went to Autozone and they installed new one with a 7yr warranty, can't beat that. $70

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Never changed it in my first Passat when I traded it was 4 1/2yo. The next Passat made it 3 1/2years then I had to change. Current one is only 2yo and very few miles.

Also, stealer wanted $175 for a new battery, got mine a Autozone for $65.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
going on 6 years 76k miles. 2000 v6 passat original battery, just filled with distilled water every year. Checked with a volt meter and seems like its still pumping.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 5 1/2 yr old OEM battery started just fine this morning. Oh ya - it was minus 39 degrees Celcius with windchill....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mar. 1st will be 7 yrs. to the day still on the orig'l battery. I do add water twice yearly & the car is garaged. 86k miles & still cranks strong.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2.5 years :crazy: , that's short, I think the dealer ripped me off as they said it needed replacing when it was in to be fixed for the fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts