Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had the battery replaced in my B5.5 for the first time back in mid March at McDonald VW. I also had an electrical test done to make sure everything was okay, which it was. I'm studying abroad in Australia for the next four months, and I left my car with my parents in Southern California. They've been driving it a few times a week, and told me that the battery is dead. The charge doesn't last after they jump it. The local VW dealership there is a true stealership. I would imagine that the warranty on the battery should cover a replacement, but it just seems weird to have to replace the battery again six months later. Any suggestions or ideas on something else that could be wrong?

Thanks so much. I miss my car, but there are lots of VWs here. Hehehehe. :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
See my post on VW batteries are crap. My car is a little over 3 years old and I put my third one in about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Check the water level. VW OEM batteries are not a maintenance free. Add enough *distilled* water to cover any exposed fins. Make sure to check all 6 cells.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
hey fellow Denver B5'er.
I got mine replaced after 40,000 miles and 3 years.

The key to keep your battery charged after a jump start is to drive it for at least an hour so that it recharges itself and keeps it running better -- kind of like beaking it in.

If you need to get a new battery I suggest getting the Optima Red Top. It supposed to last twice as long, is less prone to vibration wear, and has a higher power start up. It's a little bit more money but it's worth it.
BTW, I have mixed reaction with McDonald, now I go to Mountain States Motors or Bolts (10th and Speer) if you prefer going to an independant garage.

check out our local b5 club: www.rmcb5.com (shameless plug)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been in Iraq for the last 8 months. My father-in-law mentioned to me a few days ago, my battery was dead too. I'm shocked also, it's an 03. I figure when I get home in Jan, I'll just call road service. Now it's in storage. :(

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mine is over 5 years and 105K miles old. It's finally giving me problems possibly, was hard to start last night. I was able to add a little more water. Slow cranking this morning, but it did. 35m drive to wrk, so I'll know this afternoon if it charged ok....

Aowhaus....which Optima battery? If I have to replace finnaly, I may go that route...

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
hmmm my stock battery lasted 4 yrs . . . could have lasted more but after it died a 2nd time i just decided to buy an autozone replacement for $65 . . . honestly i think the batteries are pretty decent if you keep up with the maintenance & etc.

Dave

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yeah, the Autozone sounds good for half the price of an Optima.

DURALAST-7YR BATTERY for a 1999 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT

Unit Price: $64.99
Core Value*: $8.00
Part No.: 48-DL
Weight: 40.5 lbs.
Warranty: 7 YR
Availability: Online: Not Available
Store: Normally Stocked
Note:

** 700 COLD CRANKING AMPS (875 CRANKING AMPS) ** -> 2 YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT <-

I should get enough years out of it.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2001 passat wagon. the battery died over labor day weekend because it was not driven for 4 days.

It was ok after I jump started it, I drove it for about an hour, but it would die again if I don't drive it within the next 12 hours or so.

I've never done this before, how do you add distilled water into the battery? is it as simple as opening the cap for each cell and add water?

thx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.