Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FIXED: Battery corrosion with pictures.

Hey PW. I got a new battery in December time because my old one went out. I installed my new one and I have kept regular checks on it. But lately I've been noticing it to corrode the underneath where it sits. I sprayed some anti corrosion but it still persists. Any ideas? Should I remove the battery and sand the areas, baking soda them, and rustoleom the spots?
20140503_131206.jpg
20140503_131130.jpg
20140503_131134.jpg
Hope it's not a leak because it's pretty new. The battery works well and starts my car right up every time. What do you guys think? Is this common?

FIX: So my battery was leaking, took it into the local O'rielly and they checked it and told me it was bad (obviously). They replaced it for free. I sanded all the corroded and rusted spots and plasti dipped them. Result was very good. Looks awesome no leaks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you have battery vent tube routed correctly out of that area, also I would clean battery terminals and cable ends and coat them with battery protect spray or dialectic grease, battery not venting proper will cause this problem, also I would clean battery and mounting area, Also battery may have been overfilled. Hope this helps.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,065 Posts
I doubt a vent would have prevented this. My interstate with no connection to the event has 4 yrs and absolutely no corrosion.

Reactions: 99vwpassataeb

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
It's hard to see from the pics, but it looks like it may be leaking from the vent or at the neg terminal, in either of these cases it should be covered by warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts