Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I may have done something really stupid. After trying to solve my P0112 code issue (IAT sensor 1 circuit low) I tried switching out the blue/grey connectors on the vacuum plate; BIG mistake. Immediate horrible idle, tried to stall out, and I stopped the engine immediately. No need to tell me I'm an idiot, already know that, I did it because all of the images I see show them switched. Now I've got P0346 (camshaft position sensor bank 2 signal "A") plus misfires on 4, 5, and 6. Cleared the codes, it does run (briefly, I'm not that dumb) but sounds awful, and the codes come back.

I have tried and tried to find the location of the camshaft position sensor bank 2 on the internet; only video I can find was done by a guy who didn't talk it through, and didn't really show the correct location. I can see that it's on the back of the head on bank 2. I need to know exactly where the sensor is (ATQ B5) and how to test it. The timing belt looks fine, plenty of tension (not overly much) and I know I'm going to have to pull the valve cover again to check the cam timing. I don't have a Bentley (or the $$ for one at the moment) just a crappy Chilton's that doesn't really show the location either. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, I know what it is. The pad on the CCT broke. Just ordered a pair of them, 1A Auto had them for $29.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I'm going to resurrect this thread. Got the CCT pad replaced (it was in pieces, think i got them all) and now the car will not start. Before this happened it was running great except for aforementioned oil leaks. It cranks but won't catch. I am 98% certain that the cam chain didn't jump, and I've pulled the timing belt cover back far enough to see it's fine as well. Only code it's throwing (besides P0112, still working on that one) is P0346, no misfires but that's understandable since it won't fire. I've got to think something is either shorted out or disconnected.

I got under the car to check the CKPS, it's connected fine and the wire seems intact. I have no bleeping clue where the Camshaft position sensor is on my car. The only video I can find on youtube (and it's a crappy one) shows the guy removing the metal cup thing over the cam seal on bank 2, and he doesn't talk or explain anything. When I do try to start it I'm smelling fuel, so I don't think it's the fuel pump or the relay (but I could be wrong). Gawd I hope this isn't a timing issue, that is beyond my limited experience.

Please help before I beg my buddy that knows audis to come and look at it.

·
Registered
26,963 Posts
The CPS on bank 2 (cyl 4-5-6) is at the back of the cylinder head, near the intake side. It's held in place by 2 10mm bolts. If it's misfiring, you may have the cam timing off. Did the notches on the cams like up with the marks on the cam caps?
You can try swapping the 2 sensors, but since it has misfires, I doubt that would help. I would also suggest a compression test if the cams are properly timed. Begging your buddy is probably a good idea if he knows the 2.7T or 2.8 as it's virtually the same.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Right bank camshaft sensor is on the front of the head just to the inside of the exhaust cam sprocket.
Left bank camshaft sensor is on the back of the head.
The camshaft sensors are about 2" in diameter / have a electrical connector going to them similar to that of the injectors.
They both have (2) 10mm hex screws holding them on.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Got the CCT pad replaced (it was in pieces, think i got them all) and now the car will not start. Before this happened it was running great except for aforementioned oil leaks.... I am 98% certain that the cam chain didn't jump
If the engine does not run at all, you only worked on bank 2, and it smells like gas after cranking, then I'd want to check that that plugs are firing before anything else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plug wires are connected correctly, but I haven't pulled the plugs to check them. Will do that tonight, thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And if the cam timing IS off, what's the best method to advance the crankshaft to get it where it needs to be? I really don't want to put this thing in service position if I don't have to; I can do it (best time was 35 minutes), I just hate it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And yet another update on the Thing. My buddy came over yesterday and we got the camshaft timing done; still getting the misfires on 4, 5, and 6, and the P0346. I do realize this could mean bent valves, at the worst; question is, could the camshaft position sensor be bad? I know where it is now, and it's easily replaced. I've got no compression on bank 2. Didn't have the time or energy yesterday to test bank 1, and tonight I have to go to second job. Going to check bank 1 tomorrow, and possibly do a wet compression test on bank 2.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
how exactly did you replace the pads on the CCT on bank 2 ?, did you remove intake cam ?, Did you let lifters bleed down for any length of time if intake cam was removed and reinstalled ? Now to answer your question in regards to the intake cam sensor, it is not a proactive sensor, like a MAF, Air temp. Coolant temp. or Map sensor is, meaning if it sees the intake cam advanced or retarded outside of programmed parameters, all it does is alert the driver with a MIL lamp warning of possible timing issues. Just a reporting sensor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how exactly did you replace the pads on the CCT on bank 2 ?, did you remove intake cam ?, Did you let lifters bleed down for any length of time if intake cam was removed and reinstalled ? Now to answer your question in regards to the intake cam sensor, it is not a proactive sensor, like a MAF, Air temp. Coolant temp. or Map sensor is, meaning if it sees the intake cam advanced or retarded outside of programmed parameters, all it does is alert the driver with a MIL lamp warning of possible timing issues. Just a reporting sensor.
Tensioner was compressed to replace the pad. I did not remove the intake cam as I couldn't get the bolts out. When my buddy and I did the camshaft timing yesterday we managed to get the intake cam out (with the help of an impact wrench, carefully) and got the timing set correctly. I don't know about letting the lifters bleed down.

The more I read the more I'm thinking I've at least got bent valves, or possibly burnt pistons. I'm going to test the compression on bank 1 tomorrow or Wednesday and see if the damn tester even works. If it does, I might try a wet compression test on bank 2.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
should not by any means need an impact to loosen intake cam bolts as they are only torqued to approx. 85 INCH pounds, sounds like tightened to 85 foot pounds at some point maybe even stripped......doubt if pistons are "burned", how was tensioner compressed to replace pads? I suspect bent valves.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
This is not likely to be related to the IAT wiring.
The initial P0346 code was probably caused by the broken pads.
This might have caused bent valves and lack of compression, but probably didn't.
If you delete the P0346 code and it comes back, the timing is out now, and this could cause bent valves.
It appears that you have bent valves in bank 2 and the timing is incorrect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts