Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm at my wits end and need some input. I have what sounds like a bad wheel bearing. It's so loud at freeway speeds it's unbelievable. It sounds exactly like I'm running truck (mud) tires, but I'm not. I have Yokohama S drives 225/45/17. They are about 75% worn. One day the noise just appeared. I was convinced it was a bearing failure so I replaced both front wheel bearings and then the right rear bearing to no avail. Is it possible these tires have become this loud? Everything looks fine with them. This has been going on for 6 months. Thanks:confused:

1999 1.8T FWD

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,311 Posts
could be the tires. What kind of testing did you do to determine bad bearings? Just replace them on a whim?

·
Superhero
669 Posts
The easiest way to test is to drive the car through some long sweeping turns and listen to what happens to the sound. A bad bearing will get somewhat quieter as is is loaded up. Tires noise will stay the same.

Another test is note if the noise diminishes on different kinds of road surfaces - concrete vs asphalt.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,882 Posts
wheel bearings you can hear at 10mph speeds and below. when they're bad, they're bad.
that's not what you have if it's just noise at highway speeds only.

one solution to the issue here is to check your tire PSI. i run my ecsta asx's at 40 front and 43 rear. (50 psi maximum labeled)

·
Registered
837 Posts
The sound doesnt go away just because the wheel bearings have been changed. The noise comes from the tire wearing unevenly due to the bearing. Once the bearing is changed the tire is still worn uneven and will continue to make the noise.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,882 Posts
The sound doesnt go away just because the wheel bearings have been changed. The noise comes from the tire wearing unevenly due to the bearing. Once the bearing is changed the tire is still worn uneven and will continue to make the noise.
ok, that's a VERY common misunderstanding there. yes, for the most part it will infact go away. we're talking about a noise generated by a violent shaking of a wheel as you go down the road due to play, and a bit of reverberation coming possibly from a tire that had some nasty wear from the bad bering.
yes, i can tell you for fact, a GOOD majority if not all of the noise WILL go away.
Sounds like a faulty tire.
i'm kind of leaning this way as well. so long as the install was properly done, this is the last bit i can imagine that could be the possible issue at hand.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, let me clarify. I had no problems with the tires at all, but my CV joints were shot so I replaced the entire axle with quality pieces from a well known and respected vendor. Right after that I noticed the noise. I can hear it at 10 mph as well as 70 mph, but at that speed it's a whine. At lower speeds it's a groan. It sounds like it's coming from the right front. I replaced both front wheel bearings because I was sure that's what it was. I have experience with other cars and wheel bearings. When the noise didn't go away I had my wife drive the car while I lied down in the trunk to see if I could hear the groan/whine coming from the rear. It sounded like it was maybe coming from the right rear so I replaced that wheel bearing. Still nothing. The tires do not look worn out in any one spot. There is still tread left above the wear bar, but the tires should not be making this much noise at freeway speed. If it were normal for this tire no one would buy them. I guess I'll take it to the tire dealer and see what they say. Thanks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My tire didnt look worn either..its just that they werent worn evenly along the inner and outer edge. I have to say also that I went a few months after the noise started before I replaced my wheel bearing.
My tire noise didnt go away probably because of that fact...
"what you talkin' 'bout Sipes?" <insert pic of Gary Coleman>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.