Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is pretty much undrivable. I cannot get 1st-3rd into gear most of the time. For example, I am in 2nd and I cant get into 3rd or 1st, and so on. I checked the tranny fluid and there are no metal shavings, the clutch is perfectly fine, and the shifter linkage is also fine. Could it be bad synchros? What am I looking at in terms of cost of repair? and how long?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Does it grind when you try to go into a gear or does it just refuse to go into the gear? If it grinds it would most likely be the synchros but if it just won't fo into the gear them I bet there is another problem. Also, how many miles are on the car/tranny?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
manxdaddy said:
Does it grind when you try to go into a gear or does it just refuse to go into the gear? If it grinds it would most likely be the synchros but if it just won't fo into the gear them I bet there is another problem. Also, how many miles are on the car/tranny?
it grinds when it trys to go into gear. I have 104k miles on the car. its a 00 1.8t. It goes into gear AT TIMES, not saying it doesnt at all. How much am I looking at in order to fix it? I perfer not to take it to the stealership

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
my guesstimate is something like $2k for a removal, rebuild. Maybe try to find a low-mileage box? And there could be a problem with the clutch (residual torque).

do you have oem fluid in there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scotty_passat said:
my guesstimate is something like $2k for a removal, rebuild. Maybe try to find a low-mileage box? And there could be a problem with the clutch (residual torque).

do you have oem fluid in there?
yeah, im looking for a used gear box, found one from a wrecked 98 for $450, but the car originally had 148k miles on it :Yikes: . Clutch is pretty new, so I doubt it might be the clutch. Ill check though

i have mobil one synthetic in it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
diggb5 said:
i have mobil one synthetic in it.
FWIW, Mobil1 75w90 synthetic gear oil is a GL-5 fluid. Passat manuals are spec'd for GL-4 fluid. GL-5 fluids can contain S-P (sulphur-phosphorus) additives to meet the GL-5 spec, which is corrosive to the yellow/soft metals used in VW synchros.

The proper fluid for the Passat manual is either a GL-4, or a GL-4/5 that the manufacturer states is safe for soft or yellow metals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts