Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bad reception from both the stock deck and a new Alpine I had installed. I had the original place I had the car look at it and they tighten
down some of the grounding spots in the front and I at least now get AM
reception but is very weak. And long distance FM's are scratchy. Is there anything I can do to test to see if it is the amplier in the antenna is shot?

Could I just buy/use a cheap antenna and clug it into the radio as a test
to see if that will work.

I also notice when on AM if I use the Wipers the radio screams to the same pulse speed as the wipers. Again not sure if this is a grounding issue,wiring issue(car) Radio wires are good because I have tested the Alpine in another car and works great or if it is the amplifier under
the headliner causing the problem.

I also removed the antenna tip outside and that had no effect on the reception. SO it is like the antenna isn't even using it. So I suspect
there is a prboelm before that point.

Thanks for any help you all can be.

Regards,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NE1

So does anybody have any helpful pointers. I am tired
of constantly having the car dealership I bought it off do
a tinker here and tinker there. I have asked to have the
whole antenna kit replaced but they keep wnated to try this
and that..

Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Could be an issue with the antenna amplifier but I would recommend cross posting this in the Car Audio/Electronics forum as well as those guys know their stuff.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Antenna

00Psst said:
Could be an issue with the antenna amplifier but I would recommend cross posting this in the Car Audio/Electronics forum as well as those guys know their stuff.
00Psst is right, sounds like the antenna amp is off/bad and the Car/Audio group would be a good post.

Since you changed to an aftermarket deck, I do not know a simple procedure to check if the antenna amp is turned on. If the antenna amp is grounded (bad), you should obtain a grounded code from a VAG-COM read. Anyone in your area have a VAG?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
did the feed-back in the lines with the wipers happen before the alpine deck too, if not it was installed wrong. Also if it happened before, then it sounds like a short in the system somewhere. But the rest of it sounds like a bad antena amp, let the dealership do it cause you need to remove headliner and that is a PITA and easy to mess up. good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep

Yes it made the sounds before I believe. Although I am not positive.
But the AM had zero reception before and just having the tech refasten
the grounding points I get some reception now but is very weak.

So I asked them to replace the antena completely. So I am just
waiting to find out whether or not they will completely do it.

One question. If I get a cheap standard antenna at walmart
could i just plug it into the stereo as a test to see if the reception comes
in clear from there? I know the stereo is good because it is fairly
new and worked great in my previous car.

Or would a code reading toold be able to tell if the amp is shot or if
there is a bad ground?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
VeeDubb
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing