Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Pretty sad indeed.

/* begin soapbox */

Keep this in mind guys, this was in a car built for going fast and this happened in a controlled environment, driven by a guy who probably was pretty skilled or adept at driving at speed. Not to "sermonize" but when I read stories here of folks going 120 plus on the freeway or interstate I cringe and think of this and the high school and college students I read about dying before graduation on a daily basis. You never know when someone will pull out in front of you, when you'll come up on a piece of retread, a shovel, a ladder, or any other piece of debris that could cause you to loose control of your vehicle and buy the farm.

/* end soapbox */

Keep your heads about you folks and keep your families in mind when want to drive double the speed limit.

My apologies for the thread jack and rant.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
R.I.P. :(

I can just imagine no one could ever survive the way the car crumpled.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I hear they are pretty tail happy, and once you get that tail out, its really difficult to recover.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
jonsey24 said:
Is it just me or are these Carrera GT's a bit of an animal?
It seems you have to be very skilled to drive one properly. With the amount of power on tap and the weight of the car, it's probably pretty easy to break the rear tires loose...even at speeds where you wouldn't expect it to happen. I would imagine if you were going 80-100, you could still break them loose on a shift.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yeah I got a call from my buddy Kristian about this terrible crash at California Speedway. You would think with the increased number of composite body vehicles racing that track venues would start upgrading contact barriers. I was so shocked that Porsche went with a RWD setup on the GT, especially with the success of the 996TT's AWD system. One of my biggest concerns on the track is nosing into one of the older barriers.

This is a terrible loss! My thoughts and prayers go out to the Keaton and Rudl families.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
Agreed...
Thinking the same thing. I just read an article talking about how Sam Schmidt (former IRL driver, current owner) hit a concrete wall at a measured 55 G's and became a quadriplegic from the accident. Buddy Rice hit the turn two wall at Indy this year (backwards) in qualifying at a measured 75 G's and walked away with a concussion and a bruised back!

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
From what I read, a Ferarri pulled in front of him on the 150mph straightaway, he swerved and lost it.

What a shame.

Since the monocoque was almost entirely intact, I would image a 5-point harness and a HANS system would have helped -- though it is hard to cheat G forces so great.

·
Registered
706 Posts
For some reason the entry point was at the end of a straightaway, and the Ferrari pulled out in front of the CGT when the CGT was bearing down over 150 mph on a lap it wasn't supposed to take after a parade lap.

Here is one of the concluding posts describing the incident:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=224465&perpage=20&highlight=ben&pagenumber=8

" Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that a the pit marshal told the driver of a Ferrari to "Go" and the driver hesitated. Then the passenger said "Go" and then the pit marshal said "Stop" and then the Ferrari driver went Go. Assuming that the report was accurate then I'm certain the marshal is not feeling well.

The real point is on any track event there should ALWAYS be a defined acceleration lane and the driver instructions should tell people that when you are going out you are to accelerate to race speed as fast as possible and if you are on the track you are to stay out of the pit exit/acceleration lane or you are out of there.

It really sounds like a "cascade error". No one really did anything really wrong but a number of little things went wrong that cascaded into something big.

God love paranoia when you are playing with fast cars."

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Oh my Lord, the more I read about this incident the less I want to attend non sanctioned PCA or SCCA track events. Future events may call for the use of spotter radios like Indy or Nascar.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Terrible, but I truely don't understand why the driver lost his life, the vehicle was horribly damaged along the right side but the drivers area appears almost untouched. I would think that you'd only sustain really high g's if you hit the wall at a 90 deg angle, but It doesn't look like he slammed the nose of the vehicle into the barrier, and with the safely belts and airbags I would have thought he would have been ok, injured certainly, but not a loss of life.

A horrible tragedy regardless. My thoughts go out to the familes

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
pafc said:
internal injuries, perhaps? no question about the death of the passenger though, what a shame :(

According to the article, the driver was pronounced dead at the scene, the passenger was air-lifted to a near by hospital, and died a couple hours later...

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Swami said:
Oh my Lord, the more I read about this incident the less I want to attend non sanctioned PCA or SCCA track events. Future events may call for the use of spotter radios like Indy or Nascar.
any track environment is safe unto itself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts