Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through many forums but couldn't find my specific problem. I never got too good MPG since shortly after I purchased the car (99 Passat 1.8T AEB), however after just changing the oil, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, control arms and springs, the MPG is still just as bad / worse. What can it be? I just want to get some decent mileage, it being my daily. Help please.

· Registered
5,252 Posts
Start with scanning for codes and post any you find here. You can start with a generic scan by an auto parts store, or you can buy a USB->OBD cable and use VCDS-Lite (which is more complete.)

· Moderator/Administrator
26,198 Posts
What mileage are you getting now and what driving conditions?

· Moderator/Administrator
26,198 Posts
Vag Com lite. You can also get an elm 327 bluetooth obd adapter and use the torque app to get a temp reading.

· in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,620 Posts
Let's assume you use NGK plugs. I would say, what is the condition of your air filter? Make sure the air filter is always clean.

Use a couple of Techron fuel injector cleaners in an near empty tank so hopefully the injectors get a bit cleaner.

If the O2 sensor is too old you may consider replacing it.

Clean the MAF sensor and Throttle body (don't forget TB alignment after cleaning).

Consider replacing fuel filter too if that is too old.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's assume you use NGK plugs. I would say, what is the condition of your air filter? Make sure the air filter is always clean.

Use a couple of Techron fuel injector cleaners in an near empty tank so hopefully the injectors get a bit cleaner.

If the O2 sensor is too old you may consider replacing it.

Clean the MAF sensor and Throttle body (don't forget TB alignment after cleaning).

Consider replacing fuel filter too if that is too old.

I have also recently replaced the air filter. I'm going to try to fuel injector cleaners either today or tomorrow (not always so affective) I haven't looked into the 02 sensor or cleaning the throttle body since I got the car. What exactly is TB aligning?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.