Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the photos for the air box is missing. Trying to change air filter anyone know or can post pictures on how to disassemble and replace air filter. _ Mil

P.S. to any moderator who happens to see this mssg. RE: info forum link on cleaning the MAF on the air box. posted pics/illustrations missing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are four clips around the box, 2 of 'em are a pain in the ass to get to 'cause of the heat shielding(for the 1.8t). There's a channel/gutter on the edges of the inside of the box that the filter top sets in, so you may have to remove all the clips to get the filter to set in there. It's pretty simple, just take you time. To get the clips back on I had to use pliers for a couple of them, a flathead might fit in the clips also.

Good luck

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blaupassat said:
There are four clips around the box, 2 of 'em are a pain in the ass to get to 'cause of the heat shielding(for the 1.8t). There's a channel/gutter on the edges of the inside of the box that the filter top sets in, so you may have to remove all the clips to get the filter to set in there. It's pretty simple, just take you time. To get the clips back on I had to use pliers for a couple of them, a flathead might fit in the clips also.

Good luck
hey apreciate the posts, I managed to change the air filter. What I really wanted to find out was how to remove the elbow tube with O-ring thats attached to the side of the air box top half (attached to the elbow tube is a plastic emissions hose running to the bottom of the engine. If i could have removed this elbow pipe w/ O-ring; I could've lifted the entire top half of the air box away from the bottom half for easy filter install.

Anyhow managed to cram the new filter in and it was a bitch to relatch the bottom lock downs ....don't laugh but to each their own i used a coat hanger with a good sturdy wire and mickey moused a tool out of it to snag the bottom latch and pulled straight up to lock it down. Hope this tip is helpful to anyone who is venturing to change air filter them selves. _ M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.