Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poor Leakdown Test Results - Help Moving Forward?

So my 04 1.8T Passat has an oil consumption problem. I took it to my local shop that I trust. They work on all sorts of euro cars much more expensive than my 04 Passat. I had them check for where i might be losing the oil.

The car is stock with the exception of the APR chip upgrade. There are 152K miles on the vehicle. The timing belt was changed around 85K. All in all the car as been a great runner for the family and runs well. The oil consumption issue and the results of the leakdown test are worrisome for me.

"Found only minor oil leak from VCG and the chain tensioner. Crankcase has pressure while engine is running at idle. All breather hoses look to be intact."

Next step was the leakdown test.

Cylinder 1 - 7% low
Cylinder 2 - 25% moderate
Cylinder 3 - 35% moderate
Cylinder 4 - 40% moderate

"Cylinders 2-4 are leaking pas the rings into the crankcase causing pressure in crankcase and oil consumption."

When I asked the shop about the results they were somewhat less than helpful in charting a course or not to resolve the issue or not. They said a simple thing would be to try a thicker oil.

In addition, the PCV was replaced in 2012 with 81K on the car. The O2 sensor was replaced at that time as well.

Would it seem reasonable to have the entire PCV system inspected at this point?
Also is there anything that seems a bit weird that the #1 cylinder is fine and the others are progressively worse?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to admit I have not been following it as much as I should. I will do so moving forward with exact mileage. I would estimate at this point 1qt per 1000 miles. What I have noticed is that the oil level will go low... low enough I wonder why the oil light does not go off in the dash. Yet it seems that once the oil level becomes low it does not go lower? I know that sounds crazy and probably is not correct.

The place that ran the leakdown test said they could look at the valve seals but that would be about 1K in cost and that might not be the problem at all. The shop that ran the test seemed to think it would not be worth it to examine the pcv system. That was the shop foreman... not the tech that worked on my car. The place that did the test and has worked on the car before is a high end exotic and euro car shop. Most of the cars there are 100K plus easy. That being said they also service VW's and have been good to me.

Before I go down a complete rat hole I figured really checking to ensure the pcv system and breather hoses are totally functional might be worth the cost. There are no codes thrown in the car. They only mod I have down is an APR chip upgrade running 93 octane gas.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The "official" VW consumption limit for warranty is 1 qt per 1200 miles. Mine ('02 V6) runs right at that, so I just put a calendar reminder to check the oil monthly and add regularly. In my case, I figure it's the 30 valve stem seals of the 2.8, but who knows. No smoke or other problems, so at this car's age I will just live with it.

I would think you could get the valve stem seals done on the 4-banger for a good bit less than $1000. Maybe someone who's done the job can chime in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I did run my issue through the local VW dealer. I have known one of the service advisers for over decade. I have not been watching seriously how much consumption there is per 1000 miles. I will be doing so moving forward. If I am at that level I will be like you... just live with it and monitor.

I did get additional information from the tech at the euro shop about my leakdown test. He did say it was very much in the realm of possibilities that the breather system could be the cause of the oil consumption. I suspect the breather hoses are original to the car. The dealer tech also passed on that they believed the consumption issue could also be related to the breather system. That would be their first thing to look at. Second, they would look at the valve stem seals.

I know I had been a bit panicked about the situation as perhaps the engine was toasted. Of course that is not the case yet.

What seems to be a course of action is to monitor and get a better handle on the oil consumption per 1000 miles. Have the breather system really checked out including the PVC valve. Bump up to a 5 weight oil and see what happens over the next few months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some additional information from a once over on the car...

Found leaks from the cam-adjuster seals/valve cover gasket. (knew about this other shop said minor)
Found the hoses from the crank case up to the cylinder head leaking as well.
Noticed oily residue around the injectors where the seating cups sit.

So they recommended...
Valve cover/cam adjuster seals.
Breather hoses.
Injector cups.

I have the double bonus of my heater core likely failing. Living in MN and it being my wife's car I figure that is priority one.

Of the other items what do you guys suggest is my priority? I have limited dollars. I can chip away at it but not complete it all at once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.