Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was getting ready to go study this evening, blasting dr dre's "the chronic" when i start to feel something really weird. F! i turn down the music and hear the telltale "helicopter" sound and it feels like the wheel is about to fall off. i go home and pull the wheel and look behind at the CV boot. does not appear to be torn or anything at all. when i was driving earlier today, no symptoms at all. only thing i can figure is i effed it up somehow when i installed my suspension this wkend.

any other possibilities? :cry:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i think you need a K04. that should fix it all :thumbup:

bump for an answer from someone that knows

·
Registered
301 Posts
check the cv boots for rips and grease splattered all over the place, its easy to rip them when trying to pull the front struts over the control arms. also, do you hear a clunking noise while turning? this is usually a sign of bad, or dry cv joints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was @ 53K miles on my 2000 and had the driver side boot split on me...Grease and crud everywhere inside of the wheel. I went ahead and had both axles replaced anyway. Was this just bad luck for IDriveB5 and myself? Is there a general driving style that accelerates this type of problem?

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
IDriveB5 said:
thanks AA, thats one of the things i did.
what i didn't have the answer? 8)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was @ 53K miles on my 2000 and had the driver side boot split on me...Grease and crud everywhere inside of the wheel. I went ahead and had both axles replaced anyway. Was this just bad luck for IDriveB5 and myself? Is there a general driving style that accelerates this type of problem?

I had the same exact one (front driver side) cracked also at 53K!!! I replaced it myself with the help of a friend. I bought a reconditioned one though, only because I was in a very tight budget at the time. Laila is now at 81K and the cv still lookin good :thumbup: !

i was getting ready to go study this evening, blasting dr dre's "the chronic" when i start to feel something really weird. F! i turn down the music and hear the telltale "helicopter" sound and it feels like the wheel is about to fall off. i go home and pull the wheel and look behind at the CV boot. does not appear to be torn or anything at all. when i was driving earlier today, no symptoms at all. only thing i can figure is i effed it up somehow when i installed my suspension this wkend.

any other possibilities?

For you my friend, I hope that isn't the problem. But one way for you to check it is turn your steering wheel all the way to one direction, and drive a full circle with the steering wheel turned all the way. Than do it the other way. If it's the cv, you should hear the pops again. I really hope you dont. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
NJRrado said:
check the cv boots for rips and grease splattered all over the place, its easy to rip them when trying to pull the front struts over the control arms. also, do you hear a clunking noise while turning? this is usually a sign of bad, or dry cv joints.
Before I knew my CV Boots were bad I was getting a really bad noise. (not blessed at explaining noises like most guys ;-) ). Anyway, couldn't figure it out, until I noticed grease all over my rim. Had it replaced and the noise then dissapeared. Good luck. Not sure if that is a problem with the CV Boot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts