Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a very weird issue which I've searched but can't find the solution for. First for the specifics:

- 99 Passat GLX 1.8t AEB
- Over 208k miles
- Have owned for close to 8 years.

current Problem:

One Day last week, I felt what appears to be a slipping clutch. I would shift to a higher gear and while the gear would catch, shortly after, it would appears to slip for a few seconds only to re-engage again. I never had any signs of a worn clutch before, I use this car every day with no issues. As I continue diagnosing this issue, the behavior seems to be as follows:

1) after clutch has engaged on next gear, it will be fine for a few seconds, then suddenly seem to have no power.
2) this is important and may point to another issue: when it's in this "slipped" mode, if I press the gas to the floor, nothing happens RPM do not move 1 bit. It's as if the car was turned off.
3) After a few seconds the car re-engages and continues for a bit until I let go of the throttle, then it may reappear without shifting gears.
4) If I keep the RPMs high and shift without slowing down, the issue does not show up (hard to do in normal traffic).

While I believe I'm due for a new clutch, I don't think that's the issue. Could this be a throttle position sensor issue?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE****

I had replaced my throttle body less than a year ago. While I didn't think it would be the throttle body, I decided to put my old throttle body back on (I happened to keep it). In addition, I cleaned off the intake air temperature sensor. After these changes, this issue seems to have cleared up. I'm hoping it will stay that way. Luckily, I didn't react quickly and change my clutch (although I need to eventually).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.