Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... So i have a 2004 passat b5 2.8l v6 with a manual transmission. My first gear is completely shitty feeling.... It can never really be a smooth transition. Also, it does this weird issue:
When i easily let off clutch to get going in first and when im completely done and in gear, if I were to step on the gas semi-hard to start accelerating when i have already engaged in first, it will make a huge THUD like it just shifted really shitty...
Is this bad clutch or i need to rebuild the transmission?

Let me know what you guys think! thanks

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hey guys... So i have a 2004 passat b5 2.8l v6 with a manual transmission. My first gear is completely shitty feeling.... It can never really be a smooth transition.
This is not clear. Does it feel rough going into first gear? Does it feel rough while in first gear? Or is it rough when you shift out of first gear and into second? What about the other gears?

Also, it does this weird issue:
When i easily let off clutch to get going in first and when im completely done and in gear, if I were to step on the gas semi-hard to start accelerating when i have already engaged in first, it will make a huge THUD like it just shifted really shitty...
Is this bad clutch or i need to rebuild the transmission?

Let me know what you guys think! thanks
I think this sounds like a bad motor or gearbox mount. The motor has three mounts (one on each side, and one at the front), and the gearbox has two, one on each side. If things are smooth while in gear, then go THUD when you put your foot down, the engine/gearbox assembly is probably moving (and then stopping, that's the thud noise) in one or more failed mounts.

It's possible, I suppose, that the clutch splines are so worn that you feel the clutch plate and the shaft slamming together when the slack is taken up, or that the car has a really loose about-to-fail CV joint, which might feel the same...but it's more likely to be bad mounts, a common older-Passat experience.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
As dbrick stated, the way it's explained is unclear to give a definitive answer.
I would also suspect bad motor / transmission mounts and or cv axle joints, either the inboard or outboard joints or both.
And maybe a really bad set of control arms.

Best way to check, get the front of the car suspended so all the weight of the car is off the wheels / suspension and wheels far enough off the ground so you get under the car and start pulling and twisting on everything by hand to see if what is loose.
Grab hold of the tire/wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock positions and try to move the wheel back and forth. If it moves, either a bad tie-rod end, control arm (upper or lower or both) or wheel bearing.
Also, grab hold of the tire/wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock positions and try to move the wheel back and forth. If it moves, either a control arm (upper or lower or both) or wheel bearing.
Axles should not move at all, only rotate. If any movement is detected, replacement is required.
Look for loose/broken bolt(s) on the two transmission mounts.
Look at the front engine mount (snub mount) there should be a rubber or very hard foam type 'cup' bushing that is engaged in to a bracket on the front of the radiator core support. Deterioration or even missing snub mount bushing is a common cause of clunking on Passat's.
Check for broken motor mounts. Especially if original. Also a common failure on Passat's that also produces clunking noises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the unclear explanation of whats going on.
Let me try to clarify, when i get going from a stop and finally catch the first gear (the clutch is completely released and im only on the gas), and then i give it some kinda-hardish gas, it makes a huge THUD like it shifted horribly.
I guess it is possible that it could just be mounts. Is there some way to really rule out bad gears in the tranny or?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Well, I personally have never seen a worn out Passat manual transmission. Maybe a few that needed a bearing or a syncro, but nothing anywhere near where the splines and gears are so worn that it causes what you're experiencing.

So to get back to your question, the easier thing is to diagnose the stuff you can see. It doesn't cost you a dime to do so.
I'm fairly certain you'll find something that was mentioned previous. Exhaust all the easy possibilities first, then if that doesn't produce any findings then dive into the more complicated stuff.

The only other thing I can think of that I forgot to mention before, would be the dual mass flywheel. If all the springs are broken inside the flywheel assembly it might react the way you explain your symptoms, but not likely to that kind of severity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A quick check to see if you mount a really bad would be to rev it with a friend watching to see if the engine jerks from the torque. I had my mounts go out after a minor collision with a snow bank. The engine looked as if it wanted to take off. Plus if your mounts were bad you would feel a lot more vibration in the cabin. Never hurts to check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.