Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car in to the dealer for the rattle i've been hearing. They confirmed it was the right cat, and need to be replaced. Then they called me back and said they were replacing both. Good news is its under warrantee.

I'm a little worried about what would make my cats go at 19K miles. I have a 2001.5 V6 5 speed, and I always run 93 octane sunoco. I have vagged it repeatedly with no codes except an intermittent EVAP system code which I think only happens when I do a cold start and then shut the engine off prior to reaching full operating temp.

I am guessing that the catalyst is breaking apart, causing the rattle. There were no obvious holes in it when I looked.

It seems more than coincidental that this occurred about 1 month after installing HR OE sports and koni adjustables. I wonder if the suspension firming up jostled the cats enough for them to start breaking up?

BTW I am still waiting for the parts for the install so I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with the dealer.

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I've been lead to believe the overfilling needs to be pretty bad to cause damage, not just a little bit over the top line on the dipstick, right?

I've had slight overfills, but never a really bad one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
NYC4ever
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing