Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
No it would not. Think of the hydraulic brake system as being a closed system, with the ABS function layered on top of it. If there is an ABS system failure the brakes will still operate (just no ABS function). Conversely, if there is a problem with the brake system, fluid leak, stuck caliper, etc., the ABS system will still function (or try to function) when needed.

The ABS light on the dash is the typical symptom of a failed ABS module. Send the module out to be repaired and separately diagnose any other mechanical/hydraulic braking issues.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Do you have any other wonky lights come on, random beeping? Best is to get it scanned and post the codes. That way you aren't blindly guessing as to what it is.

I agree that your ABS mod could be faulty if it hasn't been repaired in the past. It's a very common issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, and here's the funny thing. When I first start car ABS light is off a few seconds later after moving it comes on. Yesterday I had the brakes bled and it stayed off for about 1/4 mile than came on. Wondering if could have air trapped inside system and not the electrical end of it?

·
Registered
876 Posts
That sounds like dead wheel speed sensor, or failed ABS module.
"Light comes on after vehicle moving" generally means "one wheel speed sensor transmits no signal." This problem has nothing to do with the brake hydraulics.

Need to scan the ABS module, and post fault(s.)

·
Registered
876 Posts
thanks, I understand that separate system, but doesn't brake fluid run thru block that is attached to abs module.
Yes, brake fluid runs thru the hydraulic unit. How else would the electronics regulate the brakes? :)
If there was air trapped in there, couldn't it cause a fault?
No. Only loss of braking power; low/soft pedal.
If, say, you have an air bubble trapped behind a valve, the brakes may be 'normal', until you hammer on them (read: ABS regulation, causing said valve to move, and dislodge the air bubble.) This will NOT cause a fault to set - it'll just be like you need to bleed the brakes again (soft/low pedal.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.