Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Grinding, assuming the bearing is bad. Now I need to remove the fan. AC is still working, no overheating issues.
Pulley has some rubber skid marks on it from the extra friction. I know it's starting to seize up.

What's the easiest way to get the bearing out once the fan and pulley are removed? Will I need to put the car in the service position?

Edit:

I found this video. Great guide, except he's taking off the entire bracket and he had a machine shop press the new bearing in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKGW76b8pw

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
bearing is a press fit ,you can do it in the car BUT far easier with bracket (3 bolts???) off ,bearing presses out towards back of car, you can use one of those tool rental bearing removal kits with a little finesse,shop with a press and competent mechanic might be easier, the KEY is when pressing new bearing in,is to push on the OUTER race (not the inner race) of bearing (and it is a tight press fit) otherwise you will ding inner race and have early failure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 bolts for the bracket? I must be missing something then. The bracket that holds the bearing also holds the alternator and power steering pump. It's quite a bit of hardware that has to get moved around, then the bracket has 6 or 8 bolts itself I believe.

I've done my wheel bearings once, and I used the rental tool. This is something that I have very little experience with. The guy at Autozone told me they didn't have anything for rent that would fit this particular bearing, just the wheel bearing kits. I know not to hammer on the inner race. --- I don't know what the circular fittings are called that come with the press kits, but I can't find anything that will fit this bearing. The bearing has to be pressed in from the side the has the protrusion. If it was perfectly cylindrical I could probably work with it.

https://www.europaparts.com/media/c...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/5/058115136.jpg Auto part Metal

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
I have only replaced one and it was several years ago. It was easier to remove the bracket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.