Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2004 1.8t manual 4motion with 146K on it.

2nd gear synchro is bad on it, grinds like a mofo shifting into 2nd unless speed is perfect and you double clutch.

I'm weighing my options, Ideally I'd just like to swap the tranny which would be the easy way out if I could find another tranny but they made about 500 of these, if that, so I'm guessing I wont have much luck finding one.

My questions are: are there any other bolt and go transmissions that would work like an A4 quattro one? How difficult is changing out a synchro? Ive rebuilt engines, done many timing belt jobs, cleaned my fair share of pickup tubes, and done a few clutch jobs as well so I've done some in depth work but was not sure if messing with a tranny is something that I should leave to a shop. Wouldn't mind putting in a higher 5th gear as well if that is something that's feasible.

Anyone with some tranny experience wanna let me know what I'm about to get into?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Nice score on the 1.8t 4mo 5spd!

If it were me, I'd just pull the trans and send it off to a pro. I don't have as much experience as you on car work so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd leave it to someone who's done it before to get it right the first time. They'll have the tools, parts and experience to make sure everything is good. R/R'ing it yourself will give you a chance to fix any other little things that need attention and save a bunch of money as well.

One quote that comes to mind when considering rebuilding transmissions is that it's like pancakes....the first one usually isn't very good but after that they get better.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
The 5sp B5 A4Q uses the same trans but you need to make certain the rear differential gear ratio is the same. Some of the A4s had 4:11 and some had around 3.89 which might be the same as the Passat. The 6sp from a B5 S4 would add the extra gear, but I expect it would require a different driveshaft or a spacer.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
You would have to measure the difference between the 2 transmissions to have a spacer made (or pickup a W8 driveshaft) as the only spacer commercially available is for the Tip to 6sp conversion and it probably would not be the correct size. The 6sp would drop your rpms at 80mph to around 3K with a 4:11 differential. A 6sp with the 3.89 (or whatever it is) final drive would be much more expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine isn't a Tip its just a regular 5 speed but haven't pulled tranny yet, right now I'm leaning toward a repair, I'm thinking too much can be screwed up on my end if I try to swap. Just gonna drop the tranny and take it to a local shop I know of that has rebuilt several of these successfully.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up dropping it off with a guy that rebuilds these on the side. He mentioned something about using a TDI 5th gear as they are geared a bit higher because of the diesel engine but wasn't sure on compatibility. Might look into that but would like to actually talk to someone who has successfully done it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know the TDI 5th gear is a pretty popular mod for people looking at a rebuild. It can score you a little better gas mileage on the highway, especially since the 5th gear in the 1.8t transmission is geared a little low. I know a B5 A4 turns almost 3,000 rpm going over 70mph on the highway.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
With the 6sp, I am at 3K at 80mph, roughly 2800 at 75mph and 2600 at 70mph. It's nice but since I am not chipped, it required a lot of shifting going up the mountains even at 80mph.
5th in the 6 speed is pretty much equal to 5th in the 5sp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.