1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the 2013 Passat SEL has backup cameras can I get that same one for
for 2012 Passat SEL V6 Premium?

When buying my car last spring, this was my only bummer, which almost made me
go for the Nissan Altima, my second choice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, it appears I have an answer from my dealer, who checked the "port" on accessories!

Good news...the camera ALONE is available NOW, but may be put to back ordered if you want one.
They are just ramping up the 2013's for this now.

Bad News...a full OEM kit with all the wiring, camera and parts is coming for Janurary or Feburary 2013.
My name is on a dealer order list as of today.

...and YES this can be installed in 2012 SEL Passats with the 2013 OEM kit....confirmed
*also asked the VW Sales Guy from Youtube and he said "YES...contact a dealer"

Good things come to those who wait.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know what the dealers are charging? Are they cutting breaks because they were supposed to be in the '12s ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know what the dealers are charging? Are they cutting breaks because they were supposed to be in the '12s ?

Finally got a price of $576 w/o installation.
Thats a rip off, I'm pretty fed up with service run arounds on this question.
I've called them several times, and complained, but all they say is "were sorry".

VW has lost my future business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just completed an install of the RNS 510 and Rear view camera on my 2013 Passat SE. I previously had an RCD 510 that came with the car. The RVC install wasn't hard at all. Time consuming yes, but not hard. The power, back up signal and ground are all located in the trunk area. The rgb cable which connects to the back of the Head unit has to be run under the door sills to the head unit in the dash. Some VCDs coding and you can see the rear view on your screen. MSNY, where are you located in NY ? I'd be willing to help you if needed. Bought the RVC and harness from Boldsport for a lot less than the dealer quoted you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After being sad about not having a backup camera in my 2012 Passat SEL Premium, since i had no choice and couldn't wait for the 2013s to come out when my 2004.5 Passat was totaled out, I waited to hear what options we had knowing the 13s had them. Since my car already had the RNS 510, I knew it was possible.

This past Friday i had Bozzani VW in Covina, CA install the backup camera and do the wiring and programming for $850+ $150 parts and labor. It doesn't have the bumper sensors so no colored red yellow green but it does have the lines.works great.and yes this is OEM stock. i don't have the skills or the patience to do it myself.
it took them about 2-3 hrs to complete. i had some other work done on my passenger window and a wash so not sure the exact work time but i was therefor 4-5 hrs in all.

great service at Bozzani VW All other vw dealers in so cal have disappointed me greatly. i found out about the cam install when i took my car into Bozzani for the 1st time last month for my first 10k service. while walking around and waiting we spoke to the very friendly and not sales pushy staff in the offices. we got around to talk about how the 2012s lacked the b/up cam. thanks to Alex Ramos, he mentioned they COULD install the OEM system with no issues.

no more worries about hitting something behind me or regretting i didn't get a 2013.
the backup cam was the only thing i wanted on my car but couldn't get. (well that and the full leather seats. still don't understand why the size of engine decides your seating material. if i don't want to spend on v6 low mpgs and have to buy premium gas i should still be able to get leather if i buy the top of the line SEL Premium model). :)

the cam helps a lot since I'm still getting used to this much larger car compared to the B5 gen Passat.
so if your dealer tells you the b/u cam is not possible to do in the 2012 tells them it is and take your business elsewhere

see pix here
passat backup cam1943696234.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just received my camera this weekend. Planning on installing this week. The directions I received say to pull power from the fuse box. There is an outlet with power in the back couldn't I just tap into that? Running a line with inline fuse to the outlet in the truck would save a little time and effort.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I found a local shop that will install a back up camera for about $500 and made to fit the car.
It is identical to the OEM one in features, and the price is right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has nobody seen the kit on eBay for $215? It claims to be all oem and everything you need to plug and play with the factory nav system. I plan to order it soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts