Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum but haven't been able to find a write-up for a back-up camera install on a B5 sedan. Does anyone know if one's been done yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to get some insight on the best way to run the wiring from the outside of the trunk. And then did you end up fishing the wire through the rubber conduit that goes from the trunk lid to the body and then through? Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did this a few weeks ago on a wagon but couldn't you just run the wires down one of the connecting arms for your trunk? That way you're not fishing them through anything. Just zip tie it up nice in some cable housing and you wouldn't even notice

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did this a few weeks ago on a wagon but couldn't you just run the wires down one of the connecting arms for your trunk? That way you're not fishing them through anything. Just zip tie it up nice in some cable housing and you wouldn't even notice
That could work, thanks for the input. What did you do to get the wiring from the outside, with the camera, to the inside? Did you go through the license plate lighting area?

·
Registered
94 Posts
That could work, thanks for the input. What did you do to get the wiring from the outside, with the camera, to the inside? Did you go through the license plate lighting area?
Like cuppie said, if you get one that's built into the light you can run everything behind the trim very easily. I actually got one that was much cheaper not knowing the light fixture ones existed and I had to drill through my hatch for it. Live and learn.

Assumption on my part is the trim inside of a trunk is way easier to play around with than the hatch because it's usually just carpet

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was hoping to get some insight on the best way to run the wiring from the outside of the trunk. And then did you end up fishing the wire through the rubber conduit that goes from the trunk lid to the body and then through? Thanks.
Like Jeremiah said, if you get one that replaces a plate lamp, well, you replace a lamp.
Take the trim off of the lid (easy on a sedan; a bit more fiddly on a wagon.) Run the wires. Easier if you cut the RCA connector(s) off of the camera cables, and solder new ones on after you pull the wires thru the rubber conduit (which is what I did on my wagon.)

I would not recommend running the wire "along the hinge", as you then need to deal with the very real chance of the wires getting crushed in the hinge, as well as how to prevent water intrusion at whatever point you get the cable thru the body.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Jeremiah said, if you get one that replaces a plate lamp, well, you replace a lamp.
Take the trim off of the lid (easy on a sedan; a bit more fiddly on a wagon.) Run the wires. Easier if you cut the RCA connector(s) off of the camera cables, and solder new ones on after you pull the wires thru the rubber conduit (which is what I did on my wagon.)

I would not recommend running the wire "along the hinge", as you then need to deal with the very real chance of the wires getting crushed in the hinge, as well as how to prevent water intrusion at whatever point you get the cable thru the body.

thanks for the help, Jeremiah and Cuppie. I did buy the camera with the license plate lamp replacement, but it doesn't have the built in LCD lamp. I figured I'd leave the existing lamp and it would shine through the lens since the camera is off to the side and wouldn't block the light. Problem with this, and what was throwing me, is that the wire doesn't pass through to the back of the transparent lens like the ebay option that Cuppie sent. On that one, the wire passes through the lens towards the back of the assembly. This makes more sense for an easier install.

Here's the one I bought on Amazon and may return. As you can see, the wire just comes out the back of the camera as opposed to passing through the assembly:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K4BFQP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for clarifying guys. I hope this helps other forum members as well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would return the Amazon bit, and get one like I linked to on eBay.

FYI: This is the camera that I got in '17, installed:

And, with lights on (again, with a 'mini-dot' LED glued to the inside of it):

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would return the Amazon bit, and get one like I linked to on eBay.

FYI: This is the camera that I got in '17, installed:

And, with lights on (again, with a 'mini-dot' LED glued to the inside of it):

Cuppie,

What year is your Passat? Mine's a 2004 and the one linked on eBay won't fit mine - too wide and long. The one I got on Amazon is perfect fitting at 23mm wide, 74mm long, and the distance between the holes at 59mm. The eBay one 77mm, 31mm, 59mm. Screw holes line up but otherwise won't. Seems there isn't one available in the right size and with an attached license plate LED... I'm wondering if I can rig the wires on the Amazon one to go through the reflector and through the light assembly into the trunk area without disrupting the current OEM license plate light. The plastic is transparent, so maybe the OEM light will continue to work and shine through as needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just discovered that the back up camera plate (or reflector) has the brackets to transfer the electrical contacts for the light bulb from the OEM reflector. That's pretty cool. I'm thinking now that the best thing to do would be to use this camera and figure out how to route the cam wiring up through the lighting assembly into the trunk. Maybe it's just a question of drilling a hole and then applying some silicone to waterproof it. Let me know if anyone has input on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wheelman:
First, disregard the one that I linked to - I missed that it's PAL video only (US radios need NTSC format.) That said, dimensionally, it should fit - I just measured mine (an '02; all B5.5 U.S. tailgates are the same), and it's 77mm long, holes 59mm on center.
To the best of my knowledge, sedan and wagon plate lamps are the same part number (from VW.)

Give this a look:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-Up-Camera-for-Volkswagen-Touareg-Tiguan-Passat-B5-Polo-Rear-View-Reverse/151473613050?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=e03b8388e2254d00a726343438bafb3b&pid=100010&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=222638418263&itm=151473613050&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

I still wouldn't want to drill a hole in the trunk lid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wheelman:
First, disregard the one that I linked to - I missed that it's PAL video only (US radios need NTSC format.) That said, dimensionally, it should fit - I just measured mine (an '02; all B5.5 U.S. tailgates are the same), and it's 77mm long, holes 59mm on center.
To the best of my knowledge, sedan and wagon plate lamps are the same part number (from VW.)

Give this a look:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-Up-Camera-for-Volkswagen-Touareg-Tiguan-Passat-B5-Polo-Rear-View-Reverse/151473613050?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=e03b8388e2254d00a726343438bafb3b&pid=100010&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=222638418263&itm=151473613050&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

I still wouldn't want to drill a hole in the trunk lid.

Cuppie, I just went and measured again and 77mm is too long. The one I purchased is advertised as 71mm x 23mm and it fits perfectly. My measurements are about the same. Not sure why my '04 is different, but it definitely is... Actually, have a look at this attached picture. Is it me, or on my car is there a ton more space between the lamp lens and the trunk opener/grip to the right compared to yours??

Also, when you installed yours, did you permanently remove the lighting fixture so you could run the wires up that way?

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just discovered that the back up camera plate (or reflector) has the brackets to transfer the electrical contacts for the light bulb from the OEM reflector. That's pretty cool. I'm thinking now that the best thing to do would be to use this camera and figure out how to route the cam wiring up through the lighting assembly into the trunk. Maybe it's just a question of drilling a hole and then applying some silicone to waterproof it. Let me know if anyone has input on that.
Is that light not notched so that you can lead the camera wire back up through it right there?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeremiah, nice eye!!! I'm really impressed you noticed that and I think you're correct - the wire seats pretty nicely in that notch which then allows it to go straight up! Tomorrow I'm going to see where it goes from there, and how it makes its way through the light assembly. Thanks for that. Also thanks to Cuppie for his useful input.

·
Administrator
23,554 Posts
In case I missed it...run the wire down the factory wire boot. You probably cannot get it through the inside of it because of a gummy waterproofing "glue" of some sort. I poked a hole at the top and bottom of it, then sealed those with a smear of silicone. Then I zip tied the wire to the boot in a couple of spots. From there, run along the door sills.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In case I missed it...run the wire down the factory wire boot. You probably cannot get it through the inside of it because of a gummy waterproofing "glue" of some sort. I poked a hole at the top and bottom of it, then sealed those with a smear of silicone. Then I zip tied the wire to the boot in a couple of spots. From there, run along the door sills.
VAGguy, so you're saying run the wire down the rubber boot that connects the trunk lid to the car body? Where does the glue begin and end? Could you attach a pic of where you poked the holes and where you zip tied it? Thanks!

·
Administrator
23,554 Posts
I have a wagon but did the same when I had my sedan. The goop is all inside the boot so it’s hard to fish new wire through. At each end of the rubber boot (trunk lid end and trunk lip end) poke the hole in each. The wire would come from inside to outside on the trunk side and then along the outside of the rubber boot to back in the other end of the boot to the trunk interior. Seal with silicone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still working on figuring out the install on this back up camera. I've removed the trunk panel hoping it would allow me to find a way to run the camera wiring up through the license plate light fixture, but I'm not seeing any way without drilling a hole to allow the wires to pass through. Can anyone chime in on how they ran the camera wires from the camera, outside of the trunk near the plate, to the inside?

Here's a pic of the light fixture with the bulb removed - can't see any way to pass the wires through. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts