Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I want to ask for your advise.
Last year July 2016 I bought a brand new Passat SE 1.8 in Virginia, US. It has automatic transmission.
Week after I started driving it I noticed clinking noise when I re-applied gas pedal.
I went back to VW dealership, brand new car, under manufacturer warranty and their comment was "Oh, that's normal, it happens on my car too"

While answer was naive I walked away and believed on it. Noise continued to happen and I went to four other VW dealerships and got same/similar answer telling me it is 'normal' (yet look on their face did not tell me it was 'normal' while I was test-driving my car with them)

Finally Lindsay VW dealership admitted they have another customer with car model same as mine who is complaining for the same exact issue. I insisted to have VW technician check on it. They scheduled it and the report said "...it is functioning per VW specs'...that's what report said but verbally they told me there is some 'gap' between 2nd and 3rd gear and technician took notes and will further analyze and IF Volkswagen decides to recall this car series transmission they will let me know.

I am sure they will never do that and will not issue any recall since not so many customers are complaining and I reached a dead end. Just had no more energy to complain or did not know where to go further. I called VW customer service, emailed them etc etc but no luck to fixing my cars clunking noise in transmission. At the end I realized it is not my car it is the series of my car's model that has poorly designed transmission.

I appreciate if you have any advise where to go to address this issue? Maybe some other customer has the same issue?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my 2017 passat r line replaced after 2 axles and transmission and tcu and car only had 8k transmission had bad clunking noise. I was other guy at Lindsay vw

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way I understand this is not a problem in one car. Probably the whole series of cars have it, but some people don't notice it. I wish more people reply to this thread if they have same problem.
My car model year is Passat 1.8 SE produced in 2016

·
Registered
5 Posts
They replaced the car with a 2018 and it does the same thing just not as bad and not at same speeds as the other one. I'm glad I leased never will I get another vw

·
Registered
3 Posts
I leased (thank god) a 2017 1.8T SEL Premium for about 6 months that was also having clunking noises. Took it to the dealership 5 times and the issue was never resolved. Im not sure it was a transmission issue a suspension issue or a brake issue. The replaced axels, joints, brakes, calipers and rotors. I think after the third time taking it in, they were just grasping for an explanation to the problem which i never really got. I was also told that this was "normal". I am the son of a mechanic, so I know what sounds normal and what doesnt so I wasnt taking that for an answer. I submitted a request for the vehicle to be replaced based on the Georgia Lemon Law. I surprisingly got no push back from the manufacturer and I just received my replacement vehicle about 3 days ago, a 2018 SEL premium. First experience with VW, may be my last

·
Registered
451 Posts
Unless the clunking is demonstrably consistent, I suspect it's not a mechanical fault but a software issue. (All manufacturers are increasingly dependent on code.) That's why the mechanics can't find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2018 R line in Feb of 2018 and I get the same clunking described above. I now have 20K miles and will be bringing in for an oil change and 20k mile service and will complain about the clunking also. For me, it is most notable at slow speed in stop an go traffic. I agree it doesn't sound right. It's like its confused. I expect to get the same line from the techs that they must teach in VW mechanic school .. "It's within VW specs." I have had that issue when I was complaining about oil consumption in my old 2012 cc (used 1 quart every 600 miles and was told it was within spec).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny, My 2017 SEL Premium was a Total Loss in an accident, and I just got a 2018 SEL Premium with only 5124 miles, and logged in to ask about this CLUNK!

This is our 4th Passat starting from a B5 2000 GLS which lasted 225K miles, replaced by a 2014 SEL Premium TDI (VW buyback), replaced by a 2017 SEL Premium TSI (Accident; Total Loss). Disappointed that VW stopped the SEL Premium trim, so had to find a near-new pre-owned 2018.

#1: Was anyone able to get the clunk issue resolved?
#2 Why did VW discontinue the 6 trims and ended up with only 2?

Unless Germany takes over the Passat production, it's sure deteriorating in Tennessee!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts