Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Manual 06 B6 Passat started overheating a few months ago. Turned out that my fan stopped working so that's why it was overheating, I looked closely at the main fuse box under the hood and saw that the 50A fuse from the fan (I assumed) had blown. I replaced it and the fan started working again, BUT the fan wouldn't turn off. So for months I just went on plugging and unplugging the fuse everytime I drove and then parked up the car to stop it from running while I wasn't driving. About two weeks ago, the fan just stopped running even while screwed in. I don't know what the issue is and I can't drive for too long without the car overheating. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Your fan control module is bad. It's integrated into the large radiator fan, so you need to replace that. Not a hard job: remove the splash guard, disconnect the fan wiring, unbolt and remove the fan carrier, replace the fan, and put it back together. ECS Tuning and Impex among others have replacements for good price.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is there any way to test if it is the control module and not something else?
I suppose it's possible it could be something else (bad wiring or something?), but 9 times out of 10 it's the fan control module going bad that causes this. To put it another way, I wouldn't hesitate to just order the part if it was my car/money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jddaigle and RichardSEL, I'm going to try and see if I can find a used one for cheap from a junk yard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do I put off epc lamp on my fsi 2.0 Passat I have change the throttle body and alternator the light is still on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts