Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and moms b6 have been having constant problems with their transmissions. When coming down off an onramp the tranny will slam into the lower gear while down shifting. It feels like your hitting something. We took it to the dealer where at first they thought it was a computer issue on the car. Now my dad was told it's a problem VW knows about but can't currently fix. Is this true or just some BS they threw at us? Any type of TSB or something for this?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cars still under warranty. My guess is the dealer is getting tired of my parents so is making up some BS to make them go away. Not exactly sure.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
There's no TB about it but looking through whoretex, there's a lot of guys being told it's tranny "backlash". I get it randomly as well. But hell, it's under warranty, so if it breaks, it's on them anyway.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Similar problem is common with B5s. Mine did it very intermittently when I bought it used. Following advice on pw, I took it to the dealer under warranty and they reflashed it and it went away. 8 months later it came back, not as bad. Now the dealer is saying they can't detect it when they test drive. I may take it to the only other dealer, or just wait until it gets harsher or more consistent.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221546&highlight=tiptronic+reflash
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188878&highlight=clunk+jerk

·
Registered
938 Posts
I get a firm and somewhat harsh 2 to 3 downshift when driving "aggresively" in my 2003.

I actually don't mind, I think that's just what happens when you floor it. Kind of reassuring that the car's game to play along. lol.

But I degress...

Perhaps the B6 problem is harsher than mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a stranger experience in my B6... When slowing down (around 35-50 mph) and you are coasting; the tach will drop 500-1500 and you'll feel the car lurch a bit, as if its attempting to downshift. Then it realizes it shouldn't and throws it back up a gear; or at least it seems as the gear # doesn't change on the MFD.

I'm picking up the car today, they were doing the Valvebody and reflash TSB on it yesterday. I hope this cures it, but I'm suspect this is something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm noticing this as well in a 2007 Passat Wolfsburg (2.0T engine w/ Auto) with 2K miles on it.

When I've specifically noticied it, I've been driving at freeway speeds for some time (20-30 min), with the AC on (although I have not yet had an opportunity to drive without the AC, so I can't say that is or is not related) and the coming down speed to a stop - typically on an off-ramp that goes downhill (it may have happened to a lesser degree and less "voilently" when coming onto an uphill off-ramp).

Anyone have a specific TSB reference? My sunglasses holder won't stay shut, so I may have to take it into the dealer anyway :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does this happen in Sports mode or regular Drive?
Regular Drive...

Picked up the car tonight and only had a 8 mile drive home, so hard to judge if this is gone or not... The tranny is smoother now, between 1-2 is very smooth. Need to see if MPG is affected and if this fixes the tach bounce..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fix is on the way..

I just wanted to let you guys know that I emailed my regional VWOA QT manager about this specific issue on August 6th. The same day he replied the following....

Mr. John Q, There is a new software flash being developed to fix this issue. I can not give you a specific date when it will be available but will alert the dealer.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Q Sample
Quality Technical Manager

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm noticing this as well in a 2007 Passat Wolfsburg (2.0T engine w/ Auto) with 2K miles on it.

When I've specifically noticied it, I've been driving at freeway speeds for some time (20-30 min), with the AC on (although I have not yet had an opportunity to drive without the AC, so I can't say that is or is not related) and the coming down speed to a stop - typically on an off-ramp that goes downhill (it may have happened to a lesser degree and less "voilently" when coming onto an uphill off-ramp).

Anyone have a specific TSB reference? My sunglasses holder won't stay shut, so I may have to take it into the dealer anyway :lol:

EXACTLY. what happens to him. It actually feels like someone hit the back of the car. So it not just a little backlash. It woke me up from a nap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In a nutshell... When they did the last software upgrade they forgot one little important detail.

Your car's tranny should not be downshifting when the torque converter is about to unlock (~30mph). If this occurs will feel like you ran over a speed bump at high speed. New software fix is being worked on to keep the hard upshift from occurring AND not let the tranny downshift when it shouldn't....

I'm beginning to wonder if microsoft and VW are the same company.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if microsoft and VW are the same company.
Nah, if they were then our windscreens would suddenly turn blue from time to time for no apparent reason. We'd have to pull over and shut off the car to restart it, then send an error report to VW that would never get acknowledged, and then drive on as if nothing happened. OTOH, there have been a lot of software upgrades to our cars, haven't there? Maybe soon we'll all be asking, "Are you running Passat Service Pack II yet?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
In a nutshell... When they did the last software upgrade they forgot one little important detail.

Your car's tranny should not be downshifting when the torque converter is about to unlock (~30mph). If this occurs will feel like you ran over a speed bump at high speed. New software fix is being worked on to keep the hard upshift from occurring AND not let the tranny downshift when it shouldn't....
So would this be attributed to the "bouncing tach" that I see when slowing down (around 40-50 mph) and coasting? I feel a bit of a sluggish feel when the tach drops and when it bounces back up the car feels more as if it is coasting in neutral?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm assuming since that symptom also didn't show up until I had mine reflashed for the hard upshift...

Maybe they thought they could buy more time in getting the correct fix with the first patch.... I dunno...

What I do know is that I would take the current symptoms versus the hard upshift isue any day...

If you need to avoid the harsh downshift after driving for a long time just remember to shift to neutral when slowing down for the first time.....

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dad just got his car back from the dealer. It appears they updated it again with a new software update I think. I'll let you know if it's still doing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts