Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow B6 Drivers,

I've experienced many problems with my Bi-Xenon HID headlights over the 6-years that I've owned my Passat B6 3.6. Yes, I've had the yellow blinking lamp on my dash on more than it's been off during the past 6-years.

I've had my car in the shop on 7 separate occasions just for the Bi-Xenon HID headlights. It's been in for 3 times for the left light and 4 times for the right. The entire system has been replaced since purchased and some components have been replaced multiple times. Now I'm having my eighth problem (horizontal motor jammed), this time it's my left headlight.

I plan on attacking the problem myself this time as I'm tired of paying the dealer money that could be going towards my retirement fund. I would like to retire in 19-years. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but these headlights and other niggling issues with the car keep frustrating my fahrvergnügen!

I'm looking for advice as the guidance from alldatadiy.com looks daunting to say the least. Are there any DIY'ers out there that can provide some sage advice on this issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Please read this TSB, Also, I had similar issues however after keeping my 'Auto' headlight function Off and using the headlight switch manually only after car is started and running have not had any issues....In order to spark the circuit to start the HID lights, it uses 25volts geneated in the ballast however, the ballest needs to see a certian initial Voltage wish I new the exact # more than 11.8V, so if the battery is weak, tge bulb won't light (alarms as a burned out bulb) and then the AFS won't work (Alarms as a message in center AFS not operating....After replacing battery I have only turned headlights on manually and only after car is started and running normal......have not had an issue since! Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have only had right headlight problem since 2012, now 167,000 miles and my friend left the headlights on auto and it happened again....mad sure right headlight connections were snug and kept headlights off after starting and driving the car 3 different times. then on 4th time startong car and letting it run it cleared itself, turned on headlights manually no issues since....Note of warning, this HID system does not like any loose connections, I have also used dielectric in all connections, back in 2015, no parts changed since then....and the bulbs were the only part changed in right headlight and new clip from TSB:
3D0-941-160-A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts