Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya! New to the forum, first time post. Getting clues it’s time to swap out the chain & guides on my 2007 4Motion Wagon. Assuming, since it’s Volkswagen, there are a ton of specialty tools and processes involved besides just XZN and making sure stuff doesn’t fall out.

Have already viewed a few videos about the chain & guide swap process itself, as well as timing, but I’m unclear about some aspects of the prep work, was hoping folks here could point me in the right direction.

I also viewed a thread here where a gent outlined the steps for removing the transmission in order to work on the engine in the vehicle. I already serviced my transmission, but have some other things to do to the engine while redoing timing, so I’d like to pull the engine, instead. Does anyone have any suggestions, overviews or recommended reading for this? I understand there’s a “service mode” that is the preferred way to so this but am not sure if this is a firmware thing or a mechanical thing. Presuming the engine comes out from the front after the bumper and radiator core support are removed, unsure about whether I have to press out the axle, remove the control arms or other suspension components.

1) Are there any specialty tools required to remove the engine, apart from XZN sockets, a transmission jack, engine support, engine hoist and stand?

2) Does anyone know if there are currently any good step-by-step or outlined processes to refer to? Being a Volkswagen, I’d imagine it’s similar to most auto brands’ engine work but different enough to need to know some things ahead of time.

3) Any advice, fun stories, brags or general bits of worthwhile information about the process you could share?

4) I’m also assuming that this is going to take 30-40 hours to prep, remove, repair & replace in a garage with basic “home mechanic” tools and intermediate proficiency. Is that optimistic?

5) Any special modes or codes that need to be cleared by way of a scan tool only after completing this, or will a test drive of sufficient distance usually handle it?

Thank you for reading, thank you more for helping!!

P.S. What are your thoughts on oil seal and piston ring replacement, if the engine is at about 162K and sees primarily highway miles with clean air and regular service?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, right, forgot: I know there’s a specialty tool for holding the cams and one of the chain-side sprockets, picked that up already, too. Unsure of what else is needed, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts