Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd throw this out there, my 2009 Passat wagon B6 2.0T is throwing a MAF code and appears to have zero turbo boost. So first of all, does that even make sense?

I tried cleaning it with denatured alcohol and then again with electronics cleaner per suggestions elsewhere around the internet but it's still generating the code and the car is still running like it's normally aspirated.

2nd question, will the code clear itself when a new or functioning MAF is installed and will the car automatically begin to run better? Or will the code have to be cleared in order for the new or cleaned MAF to operate properly?

Thanks for the help. Love the car, not the problems though. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the fault first happened the car bucked and kicked and then quit. It restarted, choked a bit on itself and then quit again. We were able to nurse it back to the garage it had just been at but when the tech went to drive it he said it was fine. We ran it with and without the MAF plugged in and it did better without it so I left it unplugged and drove it home.

After the cleaning I gave it yesterday it ran better but there's still no boost. It's driving like a normally aspirated two liter and the check engine light is still there.

Would the lack of any difference between the MAF being plugged in or not plugged in indicate total failure?

Thanks! I'll look at your site to see about buying the diagnostic software. I've just spent so much money on repairs that I'll be driving this car for the next twenty years just to break even! Fortunately for me I really like the car even though it's been nothing but bad luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while the MAF was initially making a difference when plugged in or not plugged in, after I cleaned it with the denatured alcohol and then the electronics cleaner it stopped causing problems. there was still no boost though so I went looking for other possibilities and it was suggested I check the hoses going into and out of the intercooler.

sure enough, the outboard hose had popped out of the intercooler inlet and it snapped back into place and the car is running well again.

with the boost back and the MAF not causing problems I have to see about getting the check engine light reset as it didn't reset by itself. :(

thanks,
bart

·
Registered
7 Posts
while the MAF was initially making a difference when plugged in or not plugged in, after I cleaned it with the denatured alcohol and then the electronics cleaner it stopped causing problems. there was still no boost though so I went looking for other possibilities and it was suggested I check the hoses going into and out of the intercooler.

sure enough, the outboard hose had popped out of the intercooler inlet and it snapped back into place and the car is running well again.

with the boost back and the MAF not causing problems I have to see about getting the check engine light reset as it didn't reset by itself. :(

thanks,
bart
I have been having the same problem with the MAF sensor (when plugged in the car chokes and stutters, runs good without it being plugged in) on my 2007 VW Passat Wagon Value Edition 2.0T. This is the third MAF I've replaced (once replaced, the car ran fine for a few days, then the problem returns and is the same. Where did you find the hoses to the intercooler? I apologize in advance for knowing next to nothing about this car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.