Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

My 2002 Passat right running lights are on, the power windows stopped working and locks not working. It's my wife's car. She said water was coming in - the drivers carpet & back seat carpet wet.

I did read thru a lot of electrical issues post.

I can jump the car with my truck and the engine and car run fine - radio works, fan blowers work. Right turn signal does not work, hazard button does not work. Power windows and locks do not work. And rear running lights stay on.

Any ideas? Could it be the door lock control module under drivers seat? I heard this also runs windows and possibly anti theft? If water ingress is coming in thru front, this will get wet.

I took my battery out - tested it at autozone and battery is okay under load. I was told to do this by many electrical posts. Voltage a bit low at 12.3, due to running lights on. When I jumped car, altenator read 14 V across battery. Put my multimeter between negative battery cable & negative battery terminal and it read 10 milliAmps. I thought a big short would read several amps?

Have car at VW dealer getting serviced. Guy said it could be ECM but I don't buy it - this has inputs from all the sensors and runs the engine and this works. Then he said it needs a new battery - I don't think so. I tested it and doesn't make sense to buy battery or alternator until electrical issues fixed!

What questions should I ask Tech? Obviously I can't spend a lot of money diagnosing this - maybe 3-400 to diagnose & fix?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
One thread for one issue please: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-garage/538665-right-side-running-lights-always-power-windows-locks-not-working.html

Could it be the door lock control module under drivers seat? I heard this also runs windows and possibly anti theft?
The "door lock control module" is in the door; you mean the CCM (Comfort Control Module) on driver front floor.
The CCM and/or its wiring could cause most of your issues.

I took my battery out - tested it at autozone and battery is okay under load. I was told to do this by many electrical posts. Voltage a bit low at 12.3, due to running lights on. When I jumped car, altenator read 14 V across battery. Put my multimeter between negative battery cable & negative battery terminal and it read 10 milliAmps. I thought a big short would read several amps?
I guess you are referring to the park/city lights, the DRLs are the low beam headlights at low voltage.
There is a problem with your "10 milliAmps" reading as a single bulb would draw about 0.4 A (400 mA) or greater.

Have car at VW dealer getting serviced. Guy said it could be ECM but I don't buy it - this has inputs from all the sensors and runs the engine and this works. Then he said it needs a new battery - I don't think so. I tested it and doesn't make sense to buy battery or alternator until electrical issues fixed!

What questions should I ask Tech? Obviously I can't spend a lot of money diagnosing this - maybe 3-400 to diagnose & fix?

Thanks, Jeff
The ECM would not cause your issues, either you heard wrong and he said CCM, or you need a new mechanic.
To get this fixed for less than $400 I expect you will need to do most of the work yourself.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
I suggest you completely unwrap all of the CCM harness and pull the wires apart to find the splices, any corroded splices
to be cut back, soldered, and covered with marine grade heat shrink tubing. (You might need to add short wires to replace what you cut out)
Also check ground connections (1 on floor and on "A" Pillar), and check CCM/TCM and "A" Pillar connectors.

Have a good look at these links, before you start.

NOTE: The car in this DIY is UK RHD. (the CCM is always on LHS)
VW Passat CCM harness repair | HeadFUZZ

This thread attempts to bring together all the problems regarding water ingress and their solutions.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/230249-water-ingress-solutions.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you- Tomvw. & other responses.

1. I talked to my VW service manager today and he "now" thinks the CCM module may be the cause of the window and lock electrical issues. And not the ECM. Maybe he is the service manager vs. a knowledgeable tech.

I will pass on your specific advice above - ..."unwrap the CCM harness..."

2. With respect to my right parking lights "on" all the time, my main right "white" headlight is not on. (not low beam, not daytime, not high Beam). Only the orange lights on the RHS are on (front, small side & back.). Does this give you any other ideas?

Could this be related to the flasher system or turn signal?

Does the CCM module also control the anti-theft mechanisms? Does this turn on the flashers & horn for 30 seconds if the car detects a break in? Just trying to figure out if all these electrical problems could be related or if I definitely have two separate issues? CCM - windows & locks issue 1, right hand parking orange lights on issue 2.

I will read through the CCM and Water Ingress areas you assimilated. I did read a lot of water ingress posts previously. Thank you again. Jeff L

·
Registered
77 Posts
On water leak part:

My 2001.5 passat had water leak into rear passenger floor on both sides. It turned out that when I replaced broken window regulators and lock modules on both doors, weather seals between inner metal panel and door shell were damaged. Storm water dripped out of inner metal panel and then onto door sill and floor. I resealed panels with waterproof sealant.

A simple test to verify the leak: open door with glass fully closed, pour water from outside onto glass and observe bottom door. Water came out of plastic trim seams on my doors.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
2. With respect to my right parking lights "on" all the time, my main right "white" headlight is not on. (not low beam, not daytime, not high Beam). Only the orange lights on the RHS are on (front, small side & back.). Does this give you any other ideas?

Could this be related to the flasher system or turn signal?

Does the CCM module also control the anti-theft mechanisms? Does this turn on the flashers & horn for 30 seconds if the car detects a break in?
Yes, the CCM does control the alarm. As such, it has internal relays that energize to blink the left and right parking lights. (Left & right parking lights are separate circuits per European standards.) There's an excellent chance the CCM and/or its wiring is why the lights are stuck on.

The CCM also activates the "goose honk" horn for alarm and "locked" verification; it's separate from the horn under the hood that the steering wheel activates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you too all!

Tomvw-i printed your CCM harness repair by headfuzz - took it to VW dealer. The service managers eyes lit up. The Tech pulled my CCM and Scott said it was rusty and the pins were broken off. I stressed the need to unbundle the wire harness. The manager said they did. I'm heading over there tomorrow to inspect the CCM and wire bundle. I want to make sure the circuit board is damaged beyond repair and it's bad. He said a new CCM part alone is $600. I'm unimpressed with the service manager and will talk directly with the repair tech working on the car tomorrow.

To all others - thanks on tips on CCM & water ingress. It is ultra important I make sure water ingress is resolved as the CCM new part job is expensive. I will try simple ideas like opening doors & pouring water on to make sure seals are okay. I will follow the info on this forum.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
I rather think I'd be looking for a used CCM if I were you; that should knock a zero off the price of the unit. However, there's a fair chance an authorized VW dealer would refuse to install such for you, and you'd have to have someone else do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For parts, check ECStuning.com. I bought lots of OE quality parts from them. They have genuine VW Comfort Control Module for $319.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
I agree with scotts13, and strongly recommend a good used CCM if a replacement is required;
also thoroughly check the harness and all other floor wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts