Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so against what every one said about it not working, it seems too for the most part. Has anyone actually done this.

What does work
Dash lights(dimming works too)
Speedo
Tach
Fuel
Water Temp
Turn signals
Brights
Flashers
ASR
Hand Brake
Seatbelt
Gas MPG/Temp area(the red LCD screen), you also pick up miles til empty, and seems to have different method of calculating MPG.
All light display

What doesn't work

I have issues with the Immobilzer(Car with a key shape under it on the dash always on, and dings every couple of minutes), wondering if this can be Vag Com fixed. Would going to a Immbol2 help this?

Also the area above the red LCD, the part that I believe tells you when a door or the trunk is open doesn't show any symbols, does this have any other functions.

Last issue that I could find was the it came from an auto, I have a manual so it still has the space at the bottom for PRND321, can this be Vag com fixed.

Thoughts suggestions.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
the upper part of the red dot matrix display only wotks on cars with the TMC box, like a W8. it also has to be a cluster that HAS the full red lcd, not just the half lcd which is standard in other passats.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the upper part of the red dot matrix display only wotks on cars with the TMC box, like a W8. it also has to be a cluster that HAS the full red lcd, not just the half lcd which is standard in other passats.
It has a half LCD, what is the top suppose to display is what I was wondering. I thought it was for door/trunk open lights

·
Registered
244 Posts
It has a half LCD, what is the top suppose to display is what I was wondering. I thought it was for door/trunk open lights
What part number is your replacement cluster? I'm guessing 3B0 920 92x...? (Where x is 6,7 or 9?) While we're at it, what part number was you old clutser?

You can definately put a Immob 3 cluster into an Immob 2 car. The process requires vag-com, however, so the replacement cluster can be adapted to your car. If the cluster is brand new, you'll only need the login code (SKC) of your car's existing cluster. If the replacement is used, you'll also need the login (SKC) of the replacement cluster.

Ross-tech provides directions for what you'll need to do. In a nutshell, you put the replacement clutster in, enter the login of the replacement cluster (if it's used), adapt channel 50 with the login of your previous cluster, nd recode the cluster to appropriate configuration, and adapt your existing keys to the cluster.

Basically, your cluster, ecu and keys must share the same Immob-ID. If you replace that cluster, you'll need to tell that cluster to download the correct Immob-ID from the ECU (which remembers the Immob-ID from the old cluster), and you'll need to train it on your existing keys (which also remember the Immob-ID of old cluster present when they we're originally trained to the car)...

If you don't have the SKC's, you're sunk. However, a fella on the tdiclub forum can help you out with that. Also, if the cluster is from a manual, and you're an automatic, or vice versa, you may need to reflash the eeprom in the cluster. That fella can help you with that, also...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought it from a Junk yard in NJ, so I maybe screwed, shucks, I love it so much.
So it's in 'used' mode, then. You'll wanna find someone to extract the login code, reset the mileage to 0, and perhaps re-flash it if it's doesn't qite match your car (e.g., auto vs. manual, gas vs. diesel, etc.)

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it's in 'used' mode, then. You'll wanna find someone to extract the login code, reset the mileage to 0, and perhaps re-flash it if it's doesn't qite match your car (e.g., auto vs. manual, gas vs. diesel, etc.)
Ok, can you send your PM again, I had it in my box and deleted it trying to make space to reply, Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
So this DOES work? I've always wanted to do this b/c I wanted to pick up the red MFD. Do you have a 98 or 99, the years they didnt' come with this?

·
Registered
244 Posts
So this DOES work? I've always wanted to do this b/c I wanted to pick up the red MFD. Do you have a 98 or 99, the years they didnt' come with this?
Not sure what you're asking. Does 'what' work? Putting a Immob. 3 cluster into an Immob 2 car? The answer, in short, is yes.

You must just take care to choose one that uses can-bus (or not) depending upon your car's existing configuration. Full FIS (full-height pixel display) cluster part numbers look like: 3B0 9xx y4z. If you car currently has a can-bus cluster, then you'll find that xx=20. If you car has a non-canbus cluster, then expect xx=19. You must replace you cluster with one with similar specs. Digit y indicated metric vs. imperial units, and z is the revision number. I believe that x=5 is Immob 2, and 6, 7 & 9 and various revisions of Immob 3.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sure can.

More info. The low gas light works. Also for the Immbl issue, I see two correction for this.

1. Leave it alone and remove the lgih blub/led so the flashing light will no work. Olny issue then would be when you first start the car it would flash Immbolizer active on the LCD screen.

2. Do the SKC thing

·
Registered
244 Posts
Doesn't the immobilizer also kill your engine after 2 seconds?

I sure can.

More info. The low gas light works. Also for the Immbl issue, I see two correction for this.

1. Leave it alone and remove the lgih blub/led so the flashing light will no work. Olny issue then would be when you first start the car it would flash Immbolizer active on the LCD screen.

2. Do the SKC thing

1 - 20 of 75 Posts