Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm a long-time Passat driver starting from 98/99, currently based near Cambridge and putting 50k/year on a 2001.5 B5 Tip Sport Estate.

Plenty of posts on the main forums about tiptronic stuff but I haven't seen much on the europe side of things, and having read some of the threads on tip woes on the other side of the pond I'm beginning to wonder what was wrong with mine!

At 140K miles I suddenly got no drive; I could rev the engine in Drive or Tip mode and after 5 secs something would happen badly and the car would lurch forward; the dash display showed an inverse 12345 which I knew meant 'help'. The RAC took me to my main stealership (Vindis in Cambridge) who ummed and aahed, told me everything was knackered and took £2.5k off me for a new 'box. They also took over a week to fit it, but don't get me started on that place!

Now I wish I'd had a VAG-COM :)

Anyone else seen a similar failure and got it sorted without resorting to emptying piggy banks?

Also, now that it's dark constantly and I live in the sticks I'll be getting some Osram Silver Stars, thanks to posters who've done tutorials on fitting these things myself; 20 years ago I'd have a car in bits on the driveway to fix it, but these days it's a bit more complex....heh....

Doubly also, my wipers have developed a tendency to do 1.15 sweeps instead of the usual 1.0 I've come to expect :) In other words they don't park properly. Sometimes it's maybe 1.2 but it's always completely random, currently they're doing the expected 1.0 sweep per wipe. During the day it's not a problem but at night it is because the bloody things are noticeably in my view!

If weirdlittlebiscuit is still about, hello from b3ta!

cheers, sorry about a lengthy first post.....

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Welcome!

For the transmission problems - http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159551. It all seems a little too late now though!

VAG-COM - do it, you wont regret it. It would have helped with the above.

Bulbs - I too live in the sticks and have been more than happy with my Silverstars - http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165070.
I also added front lower fogs which I use nearly every journey - and no, not for the look, but for the extra light output as I drive under tree lined lanes.

Wipers - I had a similar problem. With the wipers in their park position, remove the black caps from the "car-end" of the wipers and tighten the nuts.

Hope this helps, enjoy your time here.

Sam :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sam,

Ta for the reply, you're right it's well too late for the transmission stuff; I just wish I'd known about VAG-COM beforehand but hey ho. *sniff*

Hopefully my silverstars will arrive tomorrow so I can get them in while it's still warm-ish. Were the front fogs a pig to fit? I've pondered those too because most of the roads round here (rural Herts) don't have any lines on them and the join from paved to grass isn't always clear :)

I checked the wipers today and the nuts are already tight so it's back to square 1 for those; these last couple of days they've behaved so who knows.

Next: W8 internal lamp upgrade with additional blue LEDs.....:)

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
The fogs were quite easy to fit, I had no existing wiring so had to use the "from scratch" method. The write-up in the Info Base is a god-send.

If you undo the wiper nuts totally and pull the wiper arms off you can check to see if the toothed spline has worn away the arm. I had to replace my driver side wiper arm because of this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the wiper arms are worn doesn't that exhibit itself as 'lazy wiping' where the two arms aren't in synch with each other? What mine do is a full sweep and instead of parking flat they both lift up an inch or two like the relay isn't shutting off at exactly the right time every time......

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Ah sorry, I misunderstood the problem.

Mine often sit up a little and over the course of the journey make their way down the screen to the park position. I thought it was normal.

Now I've found an issue I didn't think I had I'll watch this thread for answers too, rats!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, mind, mine don't wander back down again, sometimes they park properly and sometimes they don't.

In other news I got all 4 bulbs swapped at lunchtime ('kin passenger side!) and am now seeing much further than I did before....excellent. Now I've just got to wait for all the scratches on the back of my hands to stop bleeding and I'll have a go at the sidelights :)

Workshop manual DVD ordered from epay and interior nightlighting in the pipeline, I feel like a teenager again! Oh, in a very 1990s move some swine nicked the badge from my front grille. Aside from the stealership and GSF CarParts do you know where I might get one from? Epay's turned up nothing so far and I'm tempted to get one of the badgeless grilles from germany....

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Hehe, I had deep lacerations on my hands from changing the bulbs too.

Sidelights are eas(ier) but it's having the confidence to yank the wires that makes it a little nervy.

As for the front badge, you could try shooting an email to www.vagparts.com for the attention of Martin or Alan. Their prices are very good and the service even more so.

There's a thread on here showing off badgeless grilles - have a look, you may just hold off on ordering a new front badge.

Edit: the thread - http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224193

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I think extra bits are also needed before the badgeless look works for me, mind, if I get another badge and it goes missing again the decision will have been made for me :)
vagparts don't include the b5.5 badge but I'll mail them anyway.

Found a breaker on epay that might also have bits.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts