Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is trying to get me involved in SCCA Solo 2 autocross events. He's running a '97 BMW 323 with an aftermarket exhaust and a set of Michlin PS2 225 45/17s. He thinks I'd enjoy runnning my APR chipped B5 with Michlin Pilot Exaltos a/s 205 55/16s.

I think I might be setting myself up for serious humiliation. Assuming that I had the reflexes of an 18-yearold, plenty of autocross experience would I be the least bit competitive with my set-up? Would a good set of summer tires on 17" x 8" or 18" x 8" wheels help much? What fits this car without ruining the cushey ride? I'm on the verge of geezerhood and I don't have as much tolerance for the buckboard-firm ride as I used to....:crazy:

JO

·
Registered
524 Posts
Shine Racing Services in Walpole, MA has the Auto-X suspension for you. The only B5 driver I know that auto-x's runs with their setup. Scirroco78 is his username here on PW. Don't know if that helps or not.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
My son is trying to get me involved in SCCA Solo 2 autocross events. He's running a '97 BMW 323 with an aftermarket exhaust and a set of Michlin PS2 225 45/17s. He thinks I'd enjoy runnning my APR chipped B5 with Michlin Pilot Exaltos a/s 205 55/16s.

I think I might be setting myself up for serious humiliation. Assuming that I had the reflexes of an 18-yearold, plenty of autocross experience would I be the least bit competitive with my set-up? Would a good set of summer tires on 17" x 8" or 18" x 8" wheels help much? What fits this car without ruining the cushey ride? I'm on the verge of geezerhood and I don't have as much tolerance for the buckboard-firm ride as I used to....:crazy:

JO
Check out the amateur motorsport forum on this board. Good info there.

With a boost-altering chip, you are looking at competing with D-Street Prepared (DSP, many allowed modifications). If you swap out the ECU/chip and run stock with non-factory sized wheels (which I assume the 16" are on a B5 1.8T) then you will be in Street Touring "S" (STS, fewer allowed mods than DSP). Most suspension mods will also put you into STS unless another mod supercedes it (like the chip).

Regardless, before you make ANY changes to your car, take part in an event. You may find that it isn't to your liking and it's always better to get that out of the way BEFORE you start dropping money on the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts