Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a VW service manual from Amazon. Here is the listing.

"Volkswagen Passat: Service Manual: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003: 1.8L Turbo, 2.8L V6, 4.0L W8: Including Wagon and 4Motion" Abram Smythe Palmer; @ $81.57 each

This is the only one that I have found for my W8. Does anyone know where there are any other sources for W8s? Besides paying hundreds of dollars at VW :evil:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Ugh.... I had to do some majorwork on my passat during the build im finishing and I ordered both the book and then the CD-Rom from the dealer and what I found it to be is a thourough overview of all minor to mid level repairs. Unfortunatly I can say that the book for our beloved b5 does not do the job when it comes down to critical info like torque specs on things like tranny parts, internal engine, clutch torque patterns etc.... THe book does give more of a indepth look at the b5 but for me it was useless.

I did some mroe research and found that VW has yet another whole series of publications on the passat that are not available to the public that has details on every single nut and bolt of the car including all of the factory shortcuts for diagnostics without the vag com and including factory upgrade part recommendations and every single tech bulletien every done on the passat. I made good friends with the head VW TEchnician trainer at a "unnamed" factory technician school and he got son hyped about this project he was nice enough to give me access to all of this informaiton. I will say in comparision the book we can buy from hte dealer doesnt compare on what it offers and even in some cases I feel the public version of the book can also be misleading and so vague that some people will actually screw their cars up following that book. Just my 2 cents :suspicio:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got the manual the other day. Yes it is the Bentley Manual. It seems to be fairly in depth. There is a lot of good info in it. The Ford Sevice CD and DVD that I have for my Taurus seems to be at the same level. All good stuff.

Any competent mechanic can use it and keep himself out of trouble, although I would like to see more torque values. If it can be tightened to spec, it will be!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Vee-acht
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing