Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just received my very first B5 for free from a family friend. I took it to a mechanic shop and they took a look at it. The car almost had no power, turbo wasn’t kicking in, and clutch was Only engaging super high. Once we did some investigating we found out a few things. The turbos wastegate was broken so the turbo wasn’t engaging. The car is straight piped but something is still blocking the airflow through the exhaust. Obviously it needs a new clutch. Other than that there are a few small things that we haven’t been able to figure out like the E-Brake light is constantly on and so is the ABS light. Every-time we try to diagnose it no codes pop up.

So my question to all of you is...please help with any knowledge you may have!

Any ideas on the problems I’ve mentioned?

Any places or websites you recommend for replacement parts?
-Turbo
-Cat (for inspection purposes)
-Clutch kit

Thanks guys! I’d like to get this gem up and running because it was my best friends before he passed away.
Good memories.

·
Administrator
23,554 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. Was he a member here? Car looks good!

ABS module was a very common problem in the B5 and will illuminate the lights you mentioned along with block the scanner from reading codes unless unplugged from the rest of the car. unplug the module under the hood on the driver side over the wheel well. You'll see brake lines going to the hydraulic unit it's attached to. Then you should be able to scan it.

The clutch does engage pretty high on these, but not to be ruled out entirely. Add a new hood strut in there, too.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,327 Posts
we haven’t been able to figure out like the E-Brake light is constantly on
That is usually a symptom of ceased parking brake cable. Take both the rear wheels off. Try to loosen the brake cable with a plier. Then apply some anti-cease grease to it and apply the parking brake several times. Also spin the rear wheels by hand and make sure they run freely.
Other than that, if you want to revive this dead gem for sentimental reasons then that's a whole another issue. But beware that these car at this age and condition could cost a heck of effort and money to keep them above the water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your friend. Was he a member here? Car looks good!

ABS module was a very common problem in the B5 and will illuminate the lights you mentioned along with block the scanner from reading codes unless unplugged from the rest of the car. unplug the module under the hood on the driver side over the wheel well. You'll see brake lines going to the hydraulic unit it's attached to. Then you should be able to scan it.

The clutch does engage pretty high on these, but not to be ruled out entirely. Add a new hood strut in there, too.
Hey thanks for the kind words. Not sure if he was a member or not. Probably not because he did everything himself without asking for help. I’ll try and do what you said. And good job noticing the hood strut! Definitely worth a buy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is usually a symptom of ceased parking brake cable. Take both the rear wheels off. Try to loosen the brake cable with a plier. Then apply some anti-cease grease to it and apply the parking brake several times. Also spin the rear wheels by hand and make sure they run freely.
Other than that, if you want to revive this dead gem for sentimental reasons then that's a whole another issue. But beware that these car at this age and condition could cost a heck of effort and money to keep them above the water.
Thanks for the info and help!

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
If the car has been sitting for a while, it's quite possible a rodent has made a home in the exhaust. For the turbo, you can by a used OEM turbo for about the same as an Ebay new one. There have been people who have had their Ebay turbos without issue for several years and other's who have not had luck with them. I bought a used one off a low mileage Audi B6 (60K on it) and it works great.

·
Administrator
23,554 Posts
Had that problem on my old B5. A quick shot of kroil or PB blaster to the lever on the back of the caliper will free it up with a little push-pull action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the car has been sitting for a while, it's quite possible a rodent has made a home in the exhaust. For the turbo, you can by a used OEM turbo for about the same as an Ebay new one. There have been people who have had their Ebay turbos without issue for several years and other's who have not had luck with them. I bought a used one off a low mileage Audi B6 (60K on it) and it works great.
Thanks for the info and knowledge. I’ll take a look on EBay and cross my fingers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had that problem on my old B5. A quick shot of kroil or PB blaster to the lever on the back of the caliper will free it up with a little push-pull action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will be trying this out come Monday! Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My condolences about your friend. You probably have a great little car that you will enjoy working on!
That looks like an earlier (98-00) Passat with maybe the AEB or ATW engine?
Yes get the turbo operating correctly. I would check the timing belt & the camshaft sprocket to make sure that they are installed correctly. I have seen sprockets flipped causing the engine to have little power at low RPM and I have seen a belt off by 1 or 2 notches after a dealer installed the timing belt.
On the turbo is the wastegate broken or flap missing or is the actuator broken. Be careful with used turbos from ebay so check that seller's feedback. I have been successful with buying used turbos but the last one I got was not perfectly clocked/aligned but it is working well.
autohausaz.com is pretty good on parts and prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My condolences about your friend. You probably have a great little car that you will enjoy working on!
That looks like an earlier (98-00) Passat with maybe the AEB or ATW engine?
Yes get the turbo operating correctly. I would check the timing belt & the camshaft sprocket to make sure that they are installed correctly. I have seen sprockets flipped causing the engine to have little power at low RPM and I have seen a belt off by 1 or 2 notches after a dealer installed the timing belt.
On the turbo is the wastegate broken or flap missing or is the actuator broken. Be careful with used turbos from ebay so check that seller's feedback. I have been successful with buying used turbos but the last one I got was not perfectly clocked/aligned but it is working well.
autohausaz.com is pretty good on parts and prices.
Thanks for all the info! Yeah when I took it to my mechanic he said the turbo was shot. No explanation but I’ll ask him today what he meant. I’ll also have him check the belt and such. I’ll take a look on autohausaz as well. Thanks

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Assuming that the turbo is 'shot', you'll be amazed at that car's power with a fresh turbocharger. Even the early AEB version with 150 HP, which we've had, went from sluggish to damn acceptable acceleration after changing the worn-out turbo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts