Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Now that I've got a 2000 B5, I get to ask a couple of questions. After reading many old posts, it would appear that for the 2.8l, exhaust can be purchased from: Supersprint, Brullen, Remus,Sebring,Brospeed. Is that all? Anyone want to add [once again] an opinion about them? The only name that I am familiar with is Supersprint [lots of old BMWs in the past].
I have also been unable to locate a how-to on installing a rear fog light [although I did it on the old Jetta- was not able to figure out for sure- but I think it was [and still is] prewired for it. I cheated and just ran a wire back to the rear light harness though]. I will be correcting the lighting situation with a euro switch shortly, and want to finish the job. Side note: my service manual indicates that it should be right side only. Any help will be appreciated. :bow:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Remus can look like this:

Supersprint can look like this:

Personaly like more sound of Remus but swap Supersprint because i want full system.So, I bought S-sprint for Audi A6Q (because of slightly wider piping) Mufflers+Resonator(Remus don't have)+headers (arriving next week,Remus don't have them)+cat substitute with O2 (real cats too expensive).
What you can do is to swap for W8 mufflers or all W8 system, also like Glockfan to put Audi RS6 mufflers+resonator.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
will cat substitute trip the CEL? Is the CEL an issue in Europe? Would a magnaflow high flow cat with two o2 sensor bungs be a bad replacement?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
B5V6 said:
will cat substitute trip the CEL? Is the CEL an issue in Europe? Would a magnaflow high flow cat with two o2 sensor bungs be a bad replacement?
This sustitute will not do that because it have flange for lambda sensor.Mine B5 have only 1 sensor that is in front of cat. So it will not be problem.Anyhow I am still considering to buy real cat, from Magnaflow(seams they have decent high flow cats-metal not ceramic, and cheaper than Random Tech.), they quoted me 166USD per piece with 1 O2 sensor. For newer Passats with 2 O2 sensors, cat substitute would trigger CEL. In EU CEL is big issue but in Russia you can get away with it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Whilst we are on the subject of exhausts, could someone tell me if replacing the centre resonator, rear muffler and changing the diameter of the piping from cat back to 2.5" on the 2.8L V6 create any problems? Such as surging at different speeds (say 80kmh) because of the lack of back pressure. Some exhaust mech told me this last week and I am inclined not to believe him...so I thought I would ask the residential experts... TIA :bow:

Cheers
Ram

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
iconnx,
at this moment I have ''highflow'' mufflers and resonator and they are not specified for Passat B5 (i.e. pipes diameter matched with rest of b5 tubes), as I mentioned it is for A6Q and they slightly wider, +.25" I think. Only thing that come out was one that was to be expected movement of torque to higher RPMs where is bigger need of throwing out fumes and OE was not that efficient like this one (two points-highflow mufflers and resonator, bigger pipes). Otherwise I did not notice any drawback, at all. Your mech is right, but only in case if diff between pipes is too big, you know from 2" to 3" or more, than you can really loose back pressure. Regarding Supresprint like factory, I can say that in EU they are only factory with they own dyno machine (as far as I know) and only that is making extended tests regarding all parameters of influence of aftermarket exhaust vs. OE. BTW my system is for A6Q with same engine like B5, 2.8 V6. So, I am fully o.k. with it, and also I like more those 90mm round angled tips than for B5 square ones. 8)
Very smart Australian e-net magazine, chek this article:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0535/article.html

p.s. if article comes out only partialy give me mail, I'll post full copy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone recommend a supplier from which exhaust can be viewed on the web? Nenad- any chance of pics from under the car- I do like the duals! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Darkwing,
Only difficulty that you will face will be in case if you opt for rising mufflers high enough to have tips "carved in" valance (Audi style). None of this mufflers was meantto be that way. They are all made to hang under valance. So if you want that tips will stick out of valance you must "hang them high" (spaggeti western).This is point where problems start, you must "dammage" a bit body of mufflers in order to fit them on side of spare tire boots' wall (it won't affect performance,Remus is even selling this way-right muffler is "dammaged" on the middle). Supersprint have one more problem their tips are sticking to much (for my taste) out of valance, so if you want to put them further inside (we are speaking about +/- 1") you need to modify (cut) a bit(+/-0.5") resonator pipe(s) For both Co. is important to pay attention not to bring mufflers to high (more than 1.5") in order to avoid additional bending of pipes, because they will "catch" suspension parts.
All this is not to much of problem just 1/2 hour of tinkhing over it, while under car.
With Supersprint I added rear valance from Oettinger to cover some extra space that appire after switching from Remus.

Regarding web. Go to www.Remus.at (there is english version) and you can se photos of mufflers and hear sounds of stock vs. Remus (not on Passats)
also regarding S-sprint, www.supersprint.com

Regarding pics under car, I will install at the end of this week or next week, S-sprint headers so I will take pics of all of it.Now I do not have them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts