Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my 98 Passat DD headlights. With my move into AZ, my need for a headlight upgrade is essential. I have been pondering the LED option. Looking for input on the people that have converted their headlights from OEM halogens to LED. My main concern is, the distribution of the light pattern and reflective quality of the original headlight housing with LED's plugged into them.

The other thing I was wondering about, a very white light versus something with a purple tint to it. And I don't mean a light with purple coating on the bulb glass. With all the different types of headlights out there, I have heard that the purple tint is actually less fatiguing, along with making it easier to see markings and other things on the road surface. True, not true?

Here's what I have come up with so far:

#1 pick here
https://www.amazon.com/SNGL-Super-Bright-Headlight-Conversion/dp/B01MDOE2MX?th=1

#2 pick here
FluxBeam X LED Headlights - OPT7

https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h7-led-headlight-kit.html?i=0jAwxK

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually looking to do this to DD and my wife's 03 GLX also, using my car as a test specimen. Her car already has the projectors in it. I need to get the headlamp housings with the projectors for my car.
My 98 DD housings have been polished to point where I don't think much plastic is left before I go right through the lens cover. And they are severely hazed over now.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I have ordered a HID kit from theretrofitsource.com. Their customer service is great and the products available are of good quality comparable to other places places I've purchased from.

I originally had a 55W kit but went back to a 35W kit. The slightly brighter output from the 55W kit wasn't worth the shorter life span of the bulbs.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also used TRS for both of my B5 HID 35W kits. I would not need anything brighter. For the OEM style (D2S bulbs) projector headlights, I bought these Depo lights on Ebay and they work great:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-PASSAT-...-Pair-LH-RH-/142687859032?hash=item2138dbf158

I did add Lamin-X https://www.lamin-x.com/ to protect the headlights from fading, it worked great on my previous real Hella HIDs for over 10 years.

I'm liking these. Half the price of ECS Tuning. :p

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll definitely be using the Lamin-X. The sun down here will cook my headlights otherwise.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have ordered a HID kit from theretrofitsource.com. Their customer service is great and the products available are of good quality comparable to other places places I've purchased from.

I originally had a 55W kit but went back to a 35W kit. The slightly brighter output from the 55W kit wasn't worth the shorter life span of the bulbs.
How long are your bulbs lasting?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE 3-1-18

Made the purchase to upgrade my headlights to the projector type last night.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-depo-pa...ctor-headlight-corner-lights/441-1156pxnd7ea/

I know a couple of you had made suggestions. PZ, I checked those Depo's out you sent the link to. They are nice and cheap but with the purchase and shipping costs it came up to just shy of $300.
I got the Depo's from ECS for $230 and free shipping (purchased some other misc items along with the headlight housings).

Next week will be purchase of the Xenon HID's. :p

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FIY

I made the decision to go Xenon HID's because of some people here and after extensive sleuthing around on the web, Xenon's are still better and brighter than LED's.
The cost may be a bit more, but as I get older my night vision isn't what it used to be. My ability to be safe is top priority.
Three things I never compromise on, tires and headlights and brakes.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But with a blinding effect on drivers' eyes of the opposite coming vehicles, how safe are the Xenons?
While I won't deny the lights are bright, I wonder how many of those Xenon's people have are self installed and not used with the proper equipment.
I've never really had a problem with the vehicles that I know have them factory.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,294 Posts
Right, it's about beam pattern and aim. Most people just throw the bulbs in and go. I've had my 4300K HIDs in for about 8 years (adjusted) and the pattern and aim are spot on. I've even been in another car coming head on and it didn't blind me. It's not as sharp a cutoff as halogen due to the focal point being different, but it is pretty close.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE 3-3-18

The Depo headlights showed up today at my doorstep. :p

This week I'll make the purchase of the Xenon HID's and some Lamin-X covers

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE 3-7-18

Made the HID purchase the other day.
https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h7-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html?i=b7Wm1X

I bought both the 35watt Moon kit and the 55watt Galaxy kit with 5000k bulbs.
I'm looking for around 4100 lumens so we'll see how the 35 watt kit compares to the 55 watt kit. I've also considered using the 35 watt kit in the summer when the heat is so ridiculous down here. and then swap over to the 55 watt for the cooler months. Who knows, I'll just have to wait until I get the stuff and install it to see what it's like.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Moon and Galaxy ballasts have CANBUS and built in warning cancellers so an external set of cancelling pigtails with capacitors is not needed.
If you get the cheaper ballasts, Star and Sun series, then you must by the cancellers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.