Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Wherever it's made, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. With aftermarket parts there is usually a risk of things not fitting properly. If there are junk yards near you, this would be an item I would get there. Or look for a used one off the classifieds/ebay/craigslist.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,727 Posts
Willing to bet a lot of what came on the Passat was not made in Germany. Eastern Europe pumps out a lot of car parts for the Euro OEMs. Since you don't have a link to the ebay listing, nobody can be sure you have the correct part. Did you dispute with the seller?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VW Passat Glovebox 3B1 857 122 F 7DE | eBay

That is what I bought. The box even says VW...Made in Germany. Numbers match when I VIN check to my Passat and the numbers posted on the ebay listing and box are the right one on every parts shop I check. The one I received has a guide arm that does not match up horizontally. It has a lip on the bottom that does not clear the glove box opening when you try to shut it. The box it arrived in is not the same one in the listing, but the contents look similar. I think they bought the real deal and paid a pretty penny for it and just used the packaging as a way to market this cheap knock off to recover some of their expense. Thoughts?

·
Registered
26,811 Posts
The B5 and B5.5 used different gloveboxes. The description says it fits all B5, there is no way it would.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If that is the same seller, my BS radar is on when I see a box, a bag with what "might" be a glovebox door, yet no good shot of the actual part I am bidding on. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a used genuine OEM black lid. If you can get your money back from the ebay one and want it, let me know. The B5 and B5.5 boxes are different but I thought they would inter-change. I put a used B5 box into my B5.5 and the only difference I could see was the B5 box has bare metal along the bottom while the B5.5 box has this part covered. It seems to fit fine although getting all the tabs aligned without breaking anything is a bit of a chore.

I'm pretty sure the lids are the same though. I'll check the pn on my lid if it matters since I can't remember if it came from the original busted B5.5 box or the replacement B5 box that I put in.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,727 Posts
Return that crap. Look for part number on the new part; there would be one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a used genuine OEM black lid. If you can get your money back from the ebay one and want it, let me know. The B5 and B5.5 boxes are different but I thought they would inter-change. I put a used B5 box into my B5.5 and the only difference I could see was the B5 box has bare metal along the bottom while the B5.5 box has this part covered. It seems to fit fine although getting all the tabs aligned without breaking anything is a bit of a chore.

I'm pretty sure the lids are the same though. I'll check the pn on my lid if it matters since I can't remember if it came from the original busted B5.5 box or the replacement B5 box that I put in.
When I re-did the daughters glovebox, her 2000 had screws that held it together and the newer one was glued together (picked it up from a guy parting out his car). I broke apart the new one to the latch and such from the new one. It just seemed the earlier one was a more solid piece.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I paid $37 shipped and accepted a $15 refund. I plan on taking the parts out of the new one and using it in the old one. Internals should be the same right? Definitely feel like I got screwed either way this ends up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just curious as to why you had to replace the glove box. The latch handle seems to be prone to fatigue and breakage over the long haul. You can buy replacement handles on ebay pretty cheap. I think I paid less than $6 for mine including shipping from China. You may be able to find someone selling it from within the US for a bit more, but with faster shipping. Unfortunately, the only ones I've seen are either tan or grey and my glove box is black. I had to replace mine a while back and I ended up getting a grey latch handle. I suppose I could have painted it black, but it doesn't look bad as is.

I unscrewed the inner liner on the glove box and was able to access the latch mechanism without having to remove the glove box. One of the two pivot pins for the latch handle was missing and had fallen out when the handle broke off and I was unable to locate it on the floor of my car. I just cut a section of a large nail and used that to replace the pin. I used some epoxy to secure the pin in place and keep it from slipping out. You can transplant the lock cylinder from the old handle to the new one. Just be careful that the inner pieces of the lock don't fall out or you may not be able to use the key if they're not reinserted in the proper order and orientation. That happened to mine and the key won't fit the lock any more. I never used it anyway so it doesn't bother me. The new handle works great and the grey handle doesn't look all that bad against the black glove box.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The B5 and B5.5 glove boxes are similar for all intents and purposes.

I replaced the glove box door on my B5 with a door from a B5.5. I went to the junk yard and managed to salvage a complete glove box from a midnight blue B5.5 wagon with tan interior. When i came home i discovered that the kick panel liner reeked of stale cigarette smoke so i decided to swap the door only.

I was somewhat surprised when i discovered that i didn't need to swap the lock cylinder for it to work with my keys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts